Monday, August 15, 2022

More Rock en Español: Special "Mi Casa, Tu Casa" Edition

From 2020, please enjoy my current favorite band Maná and a live remake (in their respective homes) of their 2011 hit "Huele a Tristeza."

Attentive readers will recall I discovered these guys recently on the sound system of my latest watering hole -- a Mexican restaurant in Forest Hills. The short version is that they're from south of the border, they've been around for a couple of decades, and they've sold a gazillion records (including in the good old USA, where one of their albums went platinum when I wasn't looking).

As you can hear, they're world class fucking great, and I can't believe I hadn't been aware of them before a month or so ago, despite the fact they're superstars in much of the Spanish-speaking world.

I should add that this update of one of their biggest songs was obviously done as a response to the isolation occasioned by the onset of the COVID pandemic, and the cohesiveness of it is a wonder to behold.

I should also add that the cute little dog at the lead singer's feet is a thoroughly charming touch, and that the tune is so good it kills me even though I have no idea what they're yowling about.

In case you're wondering, however, the song's title loosely translates as "Smells of Sadness." Which is kind of interestingly poetic, now that I think of it.

4 comments:

Jai Guru Dave said...

Whatever it is we’ve been trying to do all these years, they’ve got it down. That’s what I always wanted to sound like.
What country are they in, in case Trump gets re-elected, and we all have to leave?

steve simels said...

Mexico.

MJConroy said...

Google translation of the lyrics:
It only smells of sadness, it smells of loneliness
In my lost eyes there is only moisture
I feel a great emptiness in my heart
I feel chills of anxiety
Where is the other part of my heart?
Oh love, where are you going? Where will you live?
Where, where are you?
This heart smells of sadness
It tastes like your absence, it tastes like pain
This heart smells of sadness
tastes like pain
I need someone, someone to love
I need to give everything, all my heart
I've been looking for you, sky, earth, and sea
Under the stones and even in the sun
Where is the other part of my heart?
Oh love, where are you going? Where will you live?
Where, where are you?
This heart smells of sadness
It tastes like your absence, it tastes like pain
This heart smells of sadness
It tastes like your absence, it tastes like pain
This heart smells of sadness
It tastes like your absence, it tastes like pain
This heart smells of sadness
you know, you know
tastes like pain
you know, you know
tastes like pain

Alzo said...

Getting a Coldplay vibe from this selection.