Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Fun City After Dark!

Found this column from December 1979 (which I had completely forgotten) in the SR archive the other day, and it cracked me right up. I'm too lazy to transcribe it, however, but fear not -- just click on the image and it will instantly enlarge into full readibility.

I should add that the hairdo I'm sporting in the accompanying photograph is perhaps my worst ever, so mea culpa. And it's fairly obvious, from my outfit and my expression, that I had been, er, up rather late the night before it was taken, which seems fitting given the column's subject.

I should also add that the names of the bands discussed in the last paragraph will bring back memories (fond or otherwise) to anybody who was a downtown Manhattanite at the time the column appeared. The reason being that, in those days, it was obligatory for crudely lettered xeroxed fliers for each of them to be festooned on telephone poles and street lamps from the Bowery to 23rd street.

5 comments:

Gummo said...

Ha, the only name that sounds even vaguely familiar is the Brats.

And yes, I remember those Xeroxed fliers everywhere but I remember them mostly being for punk shows and punk clubs.

*sings* Those were the days, my friend....

Anonymous said...

It's not instantly enlarging for me, Steve. We've had this problem before. Wanna talk about it?:) Might be my computer. If so, don't transcribe just for me. Would like to get a better look at that coiffure, though. And what's posted in front of your desk. Details are important. Maybe you can reload the image? If that's possible. I don't know how blog creation works, so forgive my ignorance in advance. As it is, it opens in a new window but doesn't enlarge.

VR

steve simels said...

Hmm. I’m gonna have to consult somebody more computer savvy than me, i.e a 20-something

Sorry for the inconvenience,kids.

getawaygoober said...

I got it to enlarge with + ....and reading glasses, sitting close to the screen.

getawaygoober said...

The message lost my "CTRL" word.
That would be Control-key and the Plus-sign.