Friday, July 07, 2023

La Fin de la Semaine Essay Question: Special "Is That Thing Turned to Eleven?" Edition

From their forthcoming (July 13th) EP Simply, please enjoy The Ape-ettes and their highly pertinent punk-rock public service announcement for "Hearing Protection."

Who are those youngsters? Let's hear what they have to say on that subject!

Emerging from the depths of Sudbury, Ontario, the Ape-ettes came to be, like a tiny musical gem unearthed from a mining town, nestled within a massive crater. This garage-pop trio is comprised of long-time friends, Andrée on bass, Melanie on drums and Julie on guitar and vocals. Formed in the cozy confines of Andrée’s basement, these girls have the gift of pumping out infectious tunes with their spirited less-is-more approach. Their live performances inspire a contagious sense of fun and neighborliness, the kind where when you look around, everyone is smiling and dancing. Their first self-titled album came out in 2017 and charted for a long while on Canadian college radio. Now releasing a four song EP for the first time on vinyl, with Reta Records and Snappy Little Numbers, the Ape-ettes are beyond excited for what is to come!

And god bless them for the wonderful work they're doing.

Meanwhile, you can (and should) find out more about them, including how to get their new (and earlier) releases over HERE.

But now to business. To wit:

...and your favorite (or least favorite) song referencing hearing (or just loud noises) in the title or lyrics is...?

Discuss.

Have a great weekend, everybody! And don't forget to wear your earplugs!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm an adult now - the pursuit of happiness. lyrics: and speaking of hearing i can't take that loud music anymore...
listen people- hermans hermits. fun fact song written by graham gouldman of 10cc
bang bang- sonny &cher
i can hear music- beach boys
la bamba- ritchie valens

ChrisE said...

Kind of an obvious one to start but...

I Can Hear Music - by the Beach Boys (and the Ronettes)
The Beach Boys' version always sounds great, especially in the (exceedingly) warm weather we're having right now.

Cleveland Jeff said...

Chain Gang- Sam Cooke

steve simels said...

Mine is I Hear Trumpets Blow by the Tokens.😎

Gummo said...

This is a cruel joke, right? It just so happens that I'm suffering today with a heaaring aid dome lodged in my ear canal. Waiting on a callback from my ENT that he can see me today to remove it.

Not funny, Steve!

Alzo said...

David Bowie: Sound and Vision
The Members: The Sound of the Suburbs
Spinal Tap: Listen to the Flower People
Cheech and Chong: Earache My Eye

Anonymous said...

hearing damage Thom Yorke
hearing aid They Might be Giants
dim lights thick smoke and loud loud music John Prine ( and others)
loud music Michelle Branch

getawaygoober said...

The Byrds - The Bells of Rhymney
T. Rex - Bang a Gong
Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer

MJConroy said...

Smiley Lewis - "I Gear You Knockin'"
Myles & Dupont - "Loud Mouth Annie"
Gin Blossoms - "Til I Hear it from You"
Golden Earring - "Sound of the Screaming Day"

Anonymous said...

The Animals - It's My Life ("hear what I say")
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
The Heardsmen - She Knows It

Anonymous said...

Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Tom Petty - Listen To Her Heart
Todd Rundgren - Couldn't I Just Tell You ("Hear me out ...)
Rolling Stones - Almost Hear You Sigh
Deep Purple, Billy Joe Royal - Hush
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild (Heavy Metal Thunder)
Mott the Hoople - Rock 'N' Roll Queen (Listen woman ...)
Beatles - No Reply "And I'll forgive the lies that I
heard before, when you gave me no reply.
Bob Dylan - A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

not firing on all cylinders

VR

steve simels said...

No, VR — you’re doing good. And you just gave me an idea for Mondays post, so thanks. 😎

Anonymous said...

steve simels:

Delighted to be your spark in the dark. My middle name isn't Erato for nothing. Muse on that.:)

VR

GLLinMo said...

I’ll go with Dave Edmunds’ version of I hear you Knocking.

Tinpot said...

Maybe half the songs on Tommy? (that deaf, dumb and blind kid)

M_Sharp said...

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow - Hank Williams
Howlin For My Darlin - Howlin Wolf
Loudmouth - Ramones
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan
Heard It On The X - ZZ Top
I Can Hear The Grass Grow - The Move
Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
If Walls Could Talk - Bottle Rockets
Just To Hear Your Voice - Toni Price

Tinpot said...

listen, listen. sandy denny

Anonymous said...

The WASP (Texas Radio & the Big Beat) - Doors
When the Music's Over - Doors
Hear My Train a-Comin' - Jimi Hendrix
Martha - Jefferson Airplane
Nadine - Chuck Berry ("Hangin' out the taxi window tryin' to make her hear")

VR

waiting for the scream of the butterfly

Nelida Lobato's got nothing on Sandy