Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series)

And I never saw the 1994 video until last week, either.

The above is, of course, D.C.-based Nineties alt-rock/power pop faves Velocity Girl and their indie hit "Sorry Again." Those guys were on Sub-Pop, which meant they were cool by definition back in the day, and I used to play the thing obsessively when it was new; how I lost track of it in recent years is beyond me. Probably just another symptom of old age.

In any event, the reason it impinged again on my decrepit consciousness is that VG will be performing the second of two reunion shows this coming September 30. If you're in the neighborhood of the Bowery Ballroom in Manhattan that evening, you might want to check 'em out.

I should add that "Sorry Again" figures prominently in a Great Lost Singles of the Nineties mixtape I put together in the 'aughts and recently rediscovered on my computer. It's a pretty fab compilation, if I do say so myself; ask me nicely and I could probably be persuaded to put it in a zip file and send it to you.

8 comments:

ChrisE said...

Steve,
I recently picked up, for about 3 bucks, the CD from which this track came, based on your recommendation of this song. Have been listening to it and enjoying it while I - what else? - sort (vinyl) records.

I don't know if this is an indication of my own impinging decrepitude, but I understand the word "mixtape" a lot more than I understand the word "zipfile" :-)

steve simels said...

"I understand the word "mixtape" a lot more than I understand the word "zipfile" :-)"

I know the feeling. :-)

Allan Rosenberg said...

Mixtape for me!

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Really like the song - reminds me of another band - I can't put my finger on it
Regarding the song a bit over produced on guitars - sometimes 11 is not an advantage - rob

pete said...

I love Great Lost Singles of the '60s that you sent me - still listen to it all the time!

Marc said...

I loved this one too, and like you I don't think I ever saw the video at the time. Thanks for posting it!

Marc

elroy said...

Would love one of your mixtapes! Let me know what info you need...

M_Sharp said...

They were definitely cool with a Simpsons reference when that was still cool!
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2e4464ad-18b4-4f09-994c-2d67f8f32f02