Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Tuesday New Music: The JEEN Genie

From her forthcoming (February 2024) album Gold Control, please enjoy singer/songwriter/alt-rocker JEEN and the aforementioned platter's second single, the ominously titled "Making Me Mad."

The album in question first impinged on my consciousness back in July (I was not previously familiar with its young auteuress) when its first single, "Just Shadows," grabbed me right away, despite a certain chaotic over-production and a vocal that under normal circumstances might have struck me as mannered. But as I said back then, by the time the chorus came roaring out of my newly acquired Klipsch computer speakers, I was convinced; this was a record that really sounded like what it meant, which is what you want (and these days don't so often get) from your rock-and-roll.

Ms. J. describes the genesis of the new one thusly:

"There was so much bad shit in the news when I wrote this last spring. Everything kept grinding me down and making me mad. It was all pretty straight forward with this one."

To which I can only add that my description of "Just Shadows" is equally apt for "Mad." Seriously, that's like the hugest chorus I've heard in ages, and it just kills me.

In any case, you can (and should) find out more about JEEN (including where to get her previous releases) over at her official website here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Making Me Mad more than Angry (the new Rolling Stones single). That could be due to a lack of expectation from JEEN. We'll see after a few more spins.

- Paul in DK

steve simels said...

I had the same thoughts vis a vis "Angry."

billy b said...

I have the Klipsch speakers, too.

Killer.