Monday, September 18, 2023

Man, I Can't Wait to Hear Micky's Version of "Radio Free Europe"

From 2023, and the about to be released (November 3) EP Dolenz Sings R.E.M., please enjoy Micky Dolenz, a/k/a the last surviving Monkee, and a version of the aforementioned sons of Athens' 1991 hit "Shiny Happy People"...

...that has lodged a near permanent smile on my kisser since the moment I first heard it a few days ago.

Not sure who's playing on it, but the album is produced by Christian Nesmith, son of Monkee Mike, who did such a (similarly) spectacular job on the 2021 Dolenz Sings Nesmith album.

In any case, the above is utterly fab. The song itself has never been my fave R.E.M. thing -- it always sounded a little self-consciously ironic/hipster for my taste -- but this version is pop heaven; it could pass for a late Monkees track, and higher praise than that I can not bestow.

8 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

I was avoiding this all weekend.
Not my fave R.E.M. track by a long shot.
But this is terrific!
Pop heaven, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised how good this was. The home movies are a nice touch. Better than the R.EE.M. original which I didn't care for one bbit. Any idea who's in the backing band. I see Mickey and Sandoval directed the video. Any other Wild Honey people involved? Pleasant surpise. Very pleasant surprise!

VR

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a much better arrangement than the original. I've never been a big fan of the song (or the Out of Time album), though I've been on the REM bandwagon since Chronic Town. Mickey completely owns this song now.

- Paul in DK

wardo said...

Micky (and Christian) managed to make a song I've despised into something wonderful.

Jai Guru Dave said...

Just listened to the R.E.M. version again, so that I’d be sure of my opinion:
Hate to be a contrarian, but I like the R.E.M. version much better. I think it is Peter Buck’s guitar work that stands out for me. Mickey’s version, though good, lacks that.

billy b said...


Micky still has a great voice. Nesmith's boy is pretty cool too.

ESciGuy said...

OK, Mickey's version is a nice take. Certainly, R.E.M. knew this was a throwaway, so understood in that vein, one can enjoy the original, while not placing it anywhere near the upper echelon of their oeuvre. The harmonies and the entire musical arrangement are pleasant to these ears.

M_Sharp said...

Great cover, much better than i expected! Makes me look forward to the album.