Friday, September 01, 2023

La Fin de la Semaine Essay Question: Special "A Nightingale Sang in Forest Hills" Edition

So a certain Shady Dame and I are back from London town, safe and sound. We had a terrific time, seeing and doing a lot of nifty things, including the way cool show of Paul McCartney's 1963-64 Beatles photography at the National Portrait Gallery, and the equally way cool exhibition of art and poetry by everybody's favorite pre-Raphaelites The Rossettis at the Tate Britain.

Hell, we even slummed it a bit by taking in the London production of the Back to the Future musical which, apart from the onstage Delorean, was just okay, but how often do I get to say I'm seeing a show with music written by the drummer -- Alan Silvestri -- of my high school rock band?

I mean really? How excellent is that?

We did not, however and alas, get to visit this celebrated-in-song-and-story spot...

...which was actually in walking distance of our hotel, but hey -- you can't have everything. Maybe next time.

Anyway, given that we're back in our Queens digs, bonding anew with Mickey, the world's cutest six-toed pussycat, it's time to move on to musical business.

To wit:

...and your favorite (or least favorite, if you have one) post-Elvis pop/rock/soul/country/folk song referencing the idea of home, specifically, or just the larger concept of finding shelter, is...?

Discuss.

In case you were wondering, I'm voting for this one (just to reinforce the Brit theme of the week's previous posts).

I think "wow" is the word for that.

Anyway, have a great weekend, everybody!!!.

And I promise some actual new music, made recently, will loom large in next week's postings!!!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

That RT & LT song is a winner. I offer three, the first two of which are in opposition to each other:

Bob Dylan - Shelter from the Storm
Gil Scott-Heron - Home is where the hatred is
Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

One more that is worthy. The Fall - My New House

- Paul in DK

getawaygoober said...

Mark Knopfler - Going Home (Local Hero)
CSNY - Our House
Stills / Manassas - Johnny's Garden
Stones - Goin' Home

edward said...

I Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Frogmouth Henry
Homeward Bound - Simon and Garfunkel
And in Every Home - Elvis Costello
Is This My Happy Home - Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks
Long Walk Home - Bruce Springsteen
I'm Coming Home - T Bone Burnett

and of course...
Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan;>

Keith Fellenstein said...

Always and forever it will be for me, Who Knows Where the Time Goes, in any of its Sandy Denny or Fairport Convention versions.

Gummo said...

A more recent great one:

Everybody's Coming to My House - David Byrne

MJConroy said...

Golden Earring- "Back Home". https://youtu.be/b_2iQdIxB9U?si=sBjFjqPU3U5evfsZ

MJConroy said...

Smithereens - House We Used to Live In.
https://youtu.be/iZz2vLUt1Ek?si=Jk5n_niaYHUv5r0P

Anonymous said...

Darling Be Home Soon - Spoonful (and Slade if you like the burp)

VR

paulinca said...

An entire record about "home" - the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack :)

paulinca

Anonymous said...

In Every Dreram Home a Heartache - Roxy Music
Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
Inside - Jethro Tull

VR

Anonymous said...

South side Johnny. I Don’t Want to go Home

Anonymous said...

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Dylan
Homesick - Atlanta Rhythm Secion
Subdivisions - Rush
I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down - Ann Peebles
Keeper of the Castle - Four Tops
Shangri-La - Kinks
House In the Country - Kinks
Little House I Used To Live In - Mothers/Zappa
You & Me - Alice Cooper - When I get home from work
I want to wrap myself around you. I want to take you and squeeze you 'Til the passion starts to rise. I want to take you to heaven.That would make my day complete

And the there's Red House by Hendrix

VR

Anonymous said...

London Homesick Blues - Gary P. Nunn courtesy Jerry Jeff Walker.

VR

Jai Guru Dave said...

“Home” - Karla Bonoff. For me and the Mrs., that’s our song.

Alzo said...

Cornershop: "Good to Be On the Road Back Home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REzVxf_e2Vs

pete said...

Least favorite: Our House CSNY

steve simels said...

I’m with you, Pete.

Anonymous said...

Shelter From The Storm - Dylan

Grateful for Christmas - Hayes Carll

In My Room - Beach Boys

Vince

M_Sharp said...

Memphis - Chuck Berry

I'm Coming Home - Clifton Chenier

elroy said...

Have to go backk and listen to the Southside Johnny and the Jukes - it has beem too long!

Humbly submitting "You're My Home" by early Billy Joel. Wife had the title engraved into my wedding ring.

elroy said...

And geez, how could I forget the other great Southside Johnny and the Jukes "home" song, Got to Be a Better Way Home"?

ChrisE said...

"She's Coming Home" by the Zombies.

Anonymous said...

Jellyfish, "I Wanna Stay Home." Best bridge ever

Old Dave said...

The Rutles - Get Up And Go (...back home, they're all waitin' for ya)

The Replacements - Here Comes A Regular (used to live at home/now I stay at the house)

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

two songs by gerry rafferty, at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum

baker street
over my head

Anonymous said...

Rael - The Who

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Gotta Catch The First Plane Home - The Kinks

Captain Al