Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Why Didn't I Get the Memo? (An Occasional Feature): Special "I Don't Think This Relationship Can Be Saved" Edition

From his 2016 album Happy Accidents, please enjoy power pop Renaissance dude Ken Sharp and just the cutest damned cover of the Beach Boys' semi-obscure gem "Girl Don't Tell Me."

I must confess that I was totally unaware of Sharp until a couple of days ago, when the video above was featured over at the invaluable Digby's Hullabaloo, but apparently he's made several albums and written a couple of music books. In any case, the first time I played the thing, in the immortal words of Christina Applegate (on Married With Children) you could have knocked me over with the weather.

The Beach Boys original, of course (and as I'm sure you all are aware) first saw the light of the day on the group's classic 1965 Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) LP, and apart from being just a great song, it's notable for being one of the few BBs tracks of the period where the only musicians on it are the actual guys in the band; Dennis is on drums, Brian is on bass and keyboards, and Carl is responsible for the vocals (fabulous) and guitar. Brian apparently wrote it as an homage to "Ticket to Ride," which you can plainly hear.

I should add that up until now, I thought The Smithereens version, from their 1980 debut indie EP, was the ne plus ultra cover of the thing...

...but I think now I prefer Sharp's version. In any case, I'm gonna have to check out some of his other stuff; I'll get back to you when I do.

[h/t Dennis Hartley]

6 comments:

ChrisE said...

Sharp wrote a book about the Raspberries titled "OVERNIGHT SENSATION: THE STORY OF..." I believe he has also written liner notes for some of the CD reissues of their music.

MJConroy said...

I have Ken Sharp's book "PLay On! Power Pop Heroes" which covers the big names.

Decent cover tune by him, but I still prefer the Smithereens take on it.

Alzo said...

Any relation to D Sharp of the Modern Lovers? I keed, I keed.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Steve. I said I was gonna pick a win, place or show with regards to the Beach Boys cover you picked.

To place - I picked Rumer - The Warmth of the Sun (loud buzzer sounds indicating failure).

To show - I picked Smithereens - Girl Don't Tell Me. (ding ding ding ding)

Not that I'm that fond of it, but coming from your perspective, I considered it a viable bet. Voila! I didn't know you were gonna pick two. So, I'm right on the money. But I just don't get the Smithereens. No matter what they play or how nice of guys they may be. They sound as if someone programmed a computer to invent a crunchy, power-pop, rockin' roots band. All the elements are there, yet, it isn't organic sounding to me. They sure ain't no Los Lobos. The Smithereens have been programmed for fire, but for me it doesn't burn. Even warm. Something about their stuff is cold and remote. I know I'm supposed to like them. I gave them a chance and collected their first few titles. I investigated, since they were getting a lot of hype in the press. But their stuff just doesn't stick to my ribs.

To further illustrate my feelings about the band, I had to judge a few piano recitals in my time. At one, two high school girls played the same piece, the very familiar Mozart Piano Sonata in C Major, or, as I called it, “Sweet 16.” Each girl was technically gifted and each played flawlessly. But one was just playing notes off of some sheet music and the other had the fire in her fingertips. The piano was an extension of her soul. The Smithereens check all the right boxes, but they leave me cold and unmoved.

So, the one I picked to win was the right song but the wrong artists. ”Girl Don’t Tell Me” by Fuzzy’.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efovu31Stf8

While his books sound interesting. I don’t know how I feel about Ken Sharp’s singing. Seems a little affected and a tad or two on the wimpy side. I like Carl’s the best. I mentioned the Tony Rivers & the Castaways cover the other day. I like it. The flaws and the Andrew Oldham rush-job production make it charming to me. Background vox arrangements are kinda corny but I also find that endearing. I’ll paste it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEWvxQGiXU

What I bet you would pick and want I really wanted you to pick are two different stories. Especially, since you might have never heard the cover. Plus, it kinda extends the boundaries of the choice in that it’s a solo Beach Boy track. Specifically, Dennis Wilson’s, “Thoughts of You,” covered by Syd Straw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fyJw-mYRs

Hope you liked it.

Our husband, and his friend Jeff, got back from a three-day deep-sea fishing trip earlier this evening. They caught a boatload. A deep freezer full. Seriously. I turned the neighbors on to a couple of 3-foot whiting. We’ve got fish on the stove-top and in the oven. The guys bought 4 bottles of pretty expensive Sauvignon Blanc. That’s one for each of us. Closing time dinner. And illumination. Cheers

VR

steve simels said...

VR -- rally digging the Fuzzy and Syd Strw tracks -- thanks for the headsup!!!

Anonymous said...

Steve-

Two out of three ain't bad. I'll take it. We still haven't got any sleep yet. Gotta crash.

VR