Monday, January 08, 2024

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Well, okay...just the first genuinely great audio product of the new year.

Ladies and germs, please enjoy, in breathless wonder, The Lemon Twigs new single "My Golden Years."

Seriously -- I gotta say that's the power pop of yours or my dreams. And may I also state, and for the record (as it were), that if that big Beach Boys/Who/Byrds wordless finale doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, then frankly I don't want to know you and what are you doing here?

I should also add that the video is hilarious, although I must confess to a little unease about the use of that small airplane. I would have thought that your basic rock band would know by now to avoid them.

7 comments:

Blue Ash Fan said...

Not being a Byrds or Beach Boys fan (Sorry, Steve) I really didn't expect to be moved by the finale. But, I'll be damned if the hair on the back of my neck didn't literally stand on end. Wow! Absolutely killer.

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

powerpop! powerpop!! powerpop!!!

also a lot of retro visuals - could it be that everything old will be new again - yesterday once more?

i haven't had a glass bottle of coca cola this century, i think - i have made a mental note to do so if the opportunity presents itself - sometimes at costco they offer bottles imported from mexico made with real sugar, not corn syrup - by the case, of course - i'll keep an eye out

golden years as a phrase is being used here to mean "the period when one flourishes" - more often it is used as a way of accentuating the positive of "the retirement years"

as some other song said - "sha la la la let's live for today" - strangely enough, the italian original was written by a group of englishmen - the rokes

steve simels said...

The glass Coke bottles are easy obtainable -- the gimmick is they're imported Mexican Coke, i.e. still made with the original formula and cane sugar, rather than whatever high fructose corn syrup crap they use for the domestic stuff.

It tastes exactly the way you remember it from your childhood, which is to say wonderful -- and it's really great for cooking. We use with a little lime juice and some other stuff to reduce as a sauce for sauteed chicken thighs.

ChrisE said...

"Chicken thighs" - coincidentally, the title of the NEXT Lemon Twigs single (these kids can get a pop song out of anything) :-)

Anonymous said...

Love their singer, playing the Rick, in his black suit. He does the legs spread with a slight knee bend that reminds me Lennon in the Beatles in their first TV appearances. He always had that small bop.
rob

JD said...

What a great way to start the music year. Especially love the 2:00 min mark when they go into full-on Raspberries mode.

Jim G said...

I've been unmoved by past posts of these guys, both here and at Burning Wood, but this (and the live clip of Ghosts Run Free that it led me to) have me rethinking my initial impression.