Thursday, January 04, 2024

An Early Clue to the New Direction: Special "I Dig Rock en Español Music in Forest Hills!" Edition

From 2012, please enjoy singer/songwriter Kany Garcia (and band) and a rendition of her Spanish-language hit "Alquien" ["Someone"] that really, as they say, tears the roof off of the sucker.

An affecting performance indeed -- and un-auto-tuned and un-twerked to boot.

I was hitherto unfamiliar with Ms. Garcia, but Wikipedia informs me she hails from Puerto Rico and is a very big deal in Latin music circles; apparently, she first came to the attention of the public as a contestant on the Puerto Rican tv talent show Objetivo Fama, which makes her sort of a much better looking Latina version of Susan Boyle. I keed, I keed!!!

But seriously -- the song above may not, strictly speaking, be rock (okay, it's a power ballad) but still -- that gal can really sing.

Anyway, I first heard Ms. Garcia just last week ,when I was at my local (Forest Hills) watering hole -- the Keuka Kafe, on Queens Boulevard; if you're in the neighborhood, stop by and tell 'em PowerPop sent you -- and "Alquien" came over the sound system, courtesy of my all-time favorite bartender, the lovely and talented Itzel. (Who's turned me on to lotsa cool music in the last year, I might add).

Hi, Itzel! I owe you one!!!

I now need only add that a coveted PowerPop No-Prize© will be awarded to the first reader who gleans the video above's relevance to the the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Listomania. Trust me -- it's gonna be a hot one!

5 comments:

edward said...

Best short versions of long songs;>

Anonymous said...

Best music recommended by your bartender.

Captain Al

MJConroy said...

Best rock in Spanish?

Gummo said...

Furriner music!

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

rob thomas and santana