Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Blog by Numbers: Special "No Cheap Shots. Well, Maybe One." Edition

[In which we catch up with a bunch of brief and/or dumb stuff that I've been meaning to post for a while, but hadn't gotten around to for whatever reason.]

1. Today's Shameless Moment of Nepotism

My younger brother (second from left)...

,,,has asked me to mention that if you enjoyed his review of Brit flick Some People (in last week's post over HERE), please check out his other musings on movies and popular culture at his blog Magic in a Frame-Part 2. He and I thank you.

2. This is the Greatest Thing in the History of Things

Seriously -- the song is a riot, the band has charisma up the wazoo, and whoever directed the video is a fucking genius.

3. Department of Misheard Lyrics

Heh.

4. Once Again, I Missed the Memo

Apparently, Ronnie Spector made an album of Brit Invasion covers in 2016, and none of you bastards bothered to tell me.

I mean, I yield to no man in my enthusiasm for the Sandi Shaw original of that, but I gotta say -- Ronnie was born to sing it.

5. Okay, I Realize Everybody Had This Album, But Groucho? Really?

On the other hand, they actually were labelmates at A&M at the time, so....

6. Today's Obligatory Accordion Joke

Heh again.

4 comments:

ChrisE said...

Did not know about that Ronnie album of Brit Invasion covers - will have to track it down. F.Y.I. she also did an E.P. in which she covers five Marshall Crenshaw songs. The session was done in 1987 - Marshall and his band at the time (Graham Maby on bass, Robert Crenshaw on drums) provide backing on 4 of the 5 tracks. A cd of the E.P. was released in the early 2000s.

daudder said...

wowza...great music and a couple of great jokes too! Sorry about the weather snafu, but wowza.

Mark said...

A line attributed to Tom Waits, and one that can be used for a variety of ... well, you'll see.

The definition of a gentleman is one who knows how to play the accordion but doesn't.

Alzo said...

Long before I picked up an electric guitar, I was coerced into taking accordion lessons. Partly due to the inevitable backaches, I grew to despise the instrument. Fast forward many years, I'm having my first rockabilly overdose at a Dave Edmunds show; the accordion player was ripping it up big time. I also was hooked on Zydeco the first time I heard it. Which is to say, that in the right hands, the old squeezebox can really rock. Just not mine.