Thursday, January 11, 2024

Last Night an Abominable Snowman Saved My Life

From their new (late November of last year) album Music Humans Can Play, please enjoy the hitherto unknown to me Autogramm and their spectacularly fab new single "Born Losers."

Autogramm's bio describes them as "synth-driven power-poppers," and as you will have noted, that seems right on the money. More to the point, when I watched that video (which is hilarious BTW -- I'm a sucker for a guy in a Yeti suit) I totally lost it when that first big instrumental section comes in and they crank the synths and "Sweet Jane"-y guitar power chords. Seriously, I haven't been so jazzed by a song in that vein since The Cars "You Might Think," and I don't think it's a stretch to say this new one stands up to that classic quite nicely. (BTW, in the interest of total accuracy, I should note that the band's bio also lists Autogramm's influences as The Fixx, David Bowie, Cheap Trick, The Boys, The Dickies and Prince. Hey -- makes sense to me!!!)

In any event, I can't wait to hear more from these guys, and while I'm listening, you can order the digital album (or a vinyl version) over at their Bandcamp site HERE.

You're welcome very much.

Coming tomorrow -- a fabulous new Weekend Essay question. Hint: It's the talk of the town.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

kokanee beer? these guys are canadians! looked them up and they are from vancouver bc.
love the tune and video.
rs

Sal Nunziato said...

Great track!
I dig it.

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

i hadn't thought of the fixx for years - today i found the video for "are we ourselves" - you can see the lyrics with the captions enabled - great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8Pe8tp2TQ

wikipedia says they were bigger hits in the states than their home the uk

Anonymous said...

Love the video!!!

Captain Al

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

also i loved the 'born losers' tune and video - the inspiring words and the heartwarming ending of the video - ordinary life is also really amazing when you slow down and take a look at it

Phil Cheese said...

Cool song and video, and I strongly recommend those boys don't try wearing that Yeti costume here in Kentucky.