Monday, May 27, 2024

It’s Memorial Day at the Shore: How Proustian!!!

So as attentive readers are aware, a certain Shady Dame and I saw the 2024 edition of the redoubtable Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes last Thursday.

Short version: They were as much fun as always, but to my delighted surprise, they did a wonderful version of this Stones' classic...

...which I was previously unaware they had recorded, but which, it now occurs to me, they must have perfomed numerous times back in their early 70s pre-record deal days as the premier bar band in south Joisey.

Okay -- that's all I have to say about that, except...enjoy the holiday, everybody!

Also: New music -- filmed at what looks like the most fun party in rock-and-roll history -- resumes on the morrow.

6 comments:

Cleveland Jeff said...

Not real sure about them doing Happy early on. It was recorded for the Into The Harbour album that came out in 2005.

steve simels said...

I was just guessing -- it kinda sounds as if they were genetically bred tp cover it.

Cleveland Jeff said...

They do a fine job, and yes, it sounds like a song they were made to play.

Allan Rosenberg said...

Really, really good!

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Studio version is OK. However, they opened with "Happy" the last, time I saw them and it wasn't very good at all. They also butchered "Walk Away Renee." It was a very disappointing show. Maybe a bad night. But I never want to see that lot again. They seemed tired and washed up. It was kinda sad.

I saw them when they were good in the heyday of "bar band makes good" period. Still, they were never one of my favorites. Take my opinion with that in mind. No offence intended.

The Pointer Sisters also did a cover of "Happy." It features Waddy, Nicky Hopkins and some other first-rate musicians. Unfortunately, Richard Perry's dry production sabotages what is essentially a great track. I’d like to hear it opened up and remixed. That is, if it hasn't already been done so. Either way, it's worth checking out.

VR

Bummer about Bill Walton. He was a senior at UCLA when Sandy and I were freshman. Sandy and I were buying the house we lived in near Pico. It was ideal. Two miles from campus and two miles from the beach. It had a swimming pool too. The payments were $275 per month. We were moving four to five keys a week at the time, so we had plenty cash-ola left over for our hedonistic pursuits. Bill used to buy grass from us every seven to ten days. Strictly business. R.I.P.

The Anonymous DB said...

Saw Southside and the crew late last year and it was a terrific show in a small hall. Energy all over the place.

They're coming back to my tiny corner of the world in the fall and I already have tickets.

That band's early albums were the very start of what opened (at the hands and 8-tracks of others) me up to a world of music beyond the crap on 70s Top 40 radio.