Thursday, December 29, 2016

Love, Doggie Style

I hadn't thought about this song in years, but it was playing at the supermarket yesterday and I gotta say -- it blew my mind to be reacquainted with it.

Ladies and germs, please enjoy -- if that is the word -- Gilbert O'Sullivan and his 1973 hit "Get Down."

Or as we call it at Casa Simels, the most reprehensible metaphor in the history of pop music.



It also occurred to me that Spinal Tap might have been thinking about it when they wrote their immortal "Bitch School."



A subject for future research, obviously.

6 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

You managed to get me to click on Gilbert O' Sullivan, a reminder that the '70's have a lot to answer for. Even worse than I remembered.

Thanks, however for the Spinal Tap antidote. Completely erased whatever ear worm residue left by.............who was that?

Anonymous said...

Buzz, that was Leo Sayers...

Captain Al

PS The Spinal Tap video is a scream!!!!

buzzbabyjesus said...

Thanks, Cap'n. And the song was "Long Tall Glasses", if I recall.

pete said...

That was terrible. Gonna have to listen to Beefheart for a while.

Anonymous said...

O'Sullivan song has same type of groove as Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows Where Rosemary Grows". On the plus side, it was a better infection than "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo." As crappy as some of it is, Sandy and I rather enjoy a bit of imaginative romping to the Rhino "Super Hits of the Seventies" series. Babydolls and pillow fights grow the mystic rose and light the cross of fire.

For me, Spinal Tap is more tiresome than the shit they satirize. Got over them a long time ago. Heresy to some, I suppose.

VR - long live reprehensible metaphors, part of what rock 'n' roll's all about, no?

John Werner said...

Two hilarious videos: the unintentional one is disturbingly bad while the other one is flat out brilliant!