Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Colossus: The Forbin Best 1,000 Albums Ever Project

No, really. Somebody is actually putting together a Best One Thousand Albums Ever project.

Says a guy with way too much time on his hands:

It’s NOT a definitive list of the Greatest Albums of All-Time. I’m not qualified to do that. I’m not sure that anyone is.

This is 100% my own personal super biased, incredibly subjective take on what my best 1,000 albums are, ranked in painstaking order over the course of doing research for nearly a year, Rob from High Fidelity style.

Okay, pal, you had me from that reference to the Nick Hornby novel and film. But thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, there's a lot more about the project -- which seems an inadequate word to describe it, actually -- over at its combination statement of purpose and manifesto, which you can read over HERE. But in case you were wondering, the short version is that it's the brainchild of the estimable Eric Berlin, who has this to say about himself:

In addition to being a digital product manager by trade, I’ve written, edited, and published thousands of pop culture articles over the years, many of which focused on music and television. I helped run pop culture-centric blogging community Blogcritics back in the day, and more recently have written about pop culture, politics, and post-pandemic life in my newsletter, The Berlin Files.

In other words, you know -- a heroic world class geek as obsessed with that kind of stuff as me or you or anybody who has ever read this here blog more than once.

If that rings a bell -- and if it doesn't, what the hell are you doing here? -- and you want to get involved in such a sublimely Quixote-ish quest, feel free to jump in over at the OFFICIAL WEBSITE and suggest a candidate of your own. And be ready to provide a cogent justification for your choice.

And, of course, tell 'em PowerPop sent you!

Oh, also -- if YOU'VE got a little extra time on your hands, please see if you can convince Eric to sneak this one in.

As we say in the rock critic biz -- heh.

10 comments:

MJConroy said...

Well, I'd vote for Floor Models over Blind Melon (which is on his list) any day.

Eric Berlin said...

So awesome Steve, thanks so much!

One of the reasons I embarked on this insane project was simply to connect with fellow music fans/nerds AND to get exposed to stuff I haven't heard before. On that note, I will check out the floor models next !

Alzo said...

"The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists." -- H. Allen Smith

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Interesting, but tough site to navigate.
Steve can you list his top 10 ?
rob

steve simels said...

I’ll do it tomorrow, tech stuff allowing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve have a comment on
Pet Sounds somewhere in here.
I'll argue it every day
rob

Anonymous said...

No bootlegs? I nominate "Bedspring Symphony," "Teenage Perversity & Ships In the Night" and Bowie's 1972 Santa Monica Civic Show as "In America" and "In Person". "Kum Back." Christ there are so many historically significant bootlegs out there that deserve mention.

I took a very glance at what lists I could find at Berlin's site.

Happen to see that "The Very Best of the Everly Brothers," was on the list. Huh? Those are Warner Bros. re-recordings of the Cadence originals. Berlin ought to reconsider that choice.

VR

Eric Berlin said...

Appreciate the thoughts and feedback, all!

I'm writing a full blown article for each and every one of the 1,000 albums, which forms a sort of countdown. So the "latest" is #456 (The Guess Who).

There are bootlegs coming! Though perhaps not ones you'd expect...

And spoiler alert that Pet Sounds will be making an appearance down the line.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Thanks Eric, still think "Sounds" is way too genuflected too.
Anon. - my get when I was a kid was the Tull Album "Oh God"
rob

Jonathan F. King said...

Saluting /Alzo/ for the first H. Allen Smith namecheck I've encountered in the Internet era.