Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Days of Booze and Whoopie Cushions

So the other day I was browsing back issues of The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review -- excuse: looking for stuff for possible inclusion in my forthcoming greatest hits book -- when I chanced upon this review and album I had totally lost in the mists of memory.

To wit: Here's Johnny, Casablanca's 1974 double LP set devoted to great moments from the Tonight Show during Johnny Carson's tenure as host.

Here's the review in question. Click on it to enlarge, obviously.

Wow. Apparently I was a ittle bit cranky when I wrote that. Although I basically still agree with most of its critical judgements, especially the bit about how Johnny should have quit the show years earlier and transitioned into the movie career he so richly deserved as (IMHO) the potential Cary Grant or William Powell of his generation.

Anyway, the Tonight Show take-off I mention in the review appeared on this 1973 album...

...which was written and performed by (among others) the great Harry Shearer and Micheal McKean, of Spinal Tap fame. And which in fact is an absolute comic masterpiece that's even funnier than I remembered.

And so, because I love you all more than food, you can listen to the entire original two disc Carson set over at YouTube HERE.

And then you can listen to the Credibility Gap's devastating parody over at the Internet Archive HERE.

You're welcome. And look at the clothes the Doctor is wearing!!!

9 comments:

steve simels said...

Testing…testing….😎

Jonathan F. King said...

You were not wrong, oh wise one. Johnny himself was a half-step more dignified than the dais-dwellers on a typical Dean Martin roast, but his material, while less aggressive, was often just as rote. No doubt the same writers were involved. I'm not entirely convinced about his potential for big-screen stardom, but you've thought about it way more than I have.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heart...Myrna Loy and William Powell
Two of the coolest spirits who ever graced thse Silver Screen
Let's not forget Asta .
Nick, Nora Charles, r courtesy of Dashiel Hammett

Rob

Anonymous said...

The potential William Powell or Cary Grant of his generation? No. I don't think he was capable of that. Those guys were monster talents. Johnny could barely pull off cameos in Get Smart.

Carson was where he should have been. The King of Late Night. Yeah, maybe he stayed a few years too long, but no one in Late Night since that time has been as iconic or well liked. Even if he took a lot of time off, leaving it to an endless stream of "guest hosts." Saw him in Vegas a few times too with much bluer material. I enjoyed it. He had good timing. And as dumb as they could be, I still looked forward to the Mighty Carson Art Players.

My parents were cool and let me stay up late and watch it from 11:30 to 1:00. I think it got better after they moved to Burbank. It was a ritual at my place. Watch the monologue and hang out if he had good guests. Even though it was time for him to go, I was sad to see it happen. It was the end of an era and its stars.

I love William Powell. Powell & Myrna Loy made a shitload of great movies. Add Harlow in Libeled Lady and you’ve got a real winner. My fave might be My Man Godfrey with Carole Lombard.

And Cary Grant can almost do no wrong by me, He stands out even in his weaker films. They don’t make stars like that anymore. He was brilliant. Philadephia Story, His Girl Friday, Notorious, The Bishop’s Wife, To Catch a Thief, Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic and Old Lace, North By Northwest and on and on. I wouldn’t want to see him in a Western though.

Point is, Johnny Carson couldn’t hold a candle to these guys. What were/are you thinking Steve? Carson had no real acting experience and didn’t show much aptitude. He was a formidable TV personality but he was essentially one-dimensional. Picturing the guy in a drama or romcom is unthinkable to me.

The Credibility Gap was always more smirky and clever than laugh-out-loud funny. As far as their output goes, this may be their best effort. But it pales compared to Firesign Theatre's stuff. There is a certain contemptuousness underlying their work which I find off putting. But that's just me.

VR

Carson sure was a hell of a lot better than Mr. Goodwrench.

Jonathan F. King said...

Okay, I was just here, but there's this. In the mid-'70s I had no greater aspiration than to become one of Johnny Carson's joke writers. I sent six pages of monologue jokes to his production company, unsolicited -- jokes I labored over to ensure their compliance with the Tonight Show's mores and treasured tropes. I included a couple of what I thought were anodyne gay jokes, of the sort that would easily pass muster in San Francisco, where I then lived. Months passed until one day I got a note from the legendary Freddy DeCordova, Johnny's longtime producer and consigliere. My jokes were "in bad taste." Every time I come across one of Carson's late '70s or early '80s monologues, full of barely couched fag jokes, I remember that exchange.

danny1959 said...

I thought that it was the truly nasty (but also funny) SNL parodies with Phil Hartman and Dana Carvey that finally convinced him that he had overstayed his welcome.

BG said...

I miss the multi-guest format.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Jon, an absolutely fascinating, readable reply. Don't know where you've been but to this Power Popster
please,Do Steve and us and comment more often...rob

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

AN - Bringing Up Baby - classic Hepburn. She lived and grew up 2 towns over, Old Saybrook. You could see her house from the road. She was on the sound with a salt water swimming pool ,- all visible.
There was also a later public 9 hole golf course, Fenwick. You left your greens fee in a coffer can.
Also Dominic Dunne grew up across the street.
rob