Tuesday, May 02, 2023

The Lemon Twigs: Chansons de la Rive Gauche

From just the other week, please enjoy friends of powerpop The Lemon Twigs -- recorded live at the Troubadour in L.A. -- and an absolutely splendid cover of The Left Banke's lovely "I've Got Something On My Mind."

Man, those kids have really got it.

I should add that the above song is my third or fourth favorite from the Banke's classic 1967 debut album. My first and second favorites, of course, are "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina."

Coming tomorrow: A live performance of my other third or fourth favorite from the Banke LP, as rendered by another band whose members I know personally.

9 comments:

VanessaStone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

.
They got it in spades.

Here’s another camera angle from upstairs with less Twiglets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2W2nLM1o4

My fifth favorite song on the Left Banke debut. For me it’s:
1) Pretty Ballerina
2) Walk Away Renee
3) She May Call You Up Tonight
4) Shadows Breaking Over My Head
5) I’ve Got Something On My Mind]

For your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4B6Q47HAbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9wIjTLmOKM

hang in there simels,

“just close your eyes and she’ll be there”

VR

JB said...

Can't say I was much of a Left Banke fan, outside of Walk Away Renee and Pretty Ballerina but the Twigs are pretty awesome!

paulinca said...

Everything I hear from the Twigs is compelling, hooky and simply quite brilliant. I missed their SF gig on Saturday and am bummed as the venue they hit next time should be much, much bigger.

paulinca

Phil Cheese said...

Love this song, and the "harpsichord-y" sounding Rik.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

This is a band to keep an ear out for
I could be their Grandfather but, if asked would pony up for equipment.
Something infectious about their set list - let's hope that doesn't evolve
into a Crowes / Oasis situation
rob

Marc said...

Absolutely lovely. For the record, She May Call You Up Tonight is the best song on the Left Banke's debut album :)

Marc

Sal Nunziato said...

The only bad song on the Left Banke album is "What Do You Know."

And, I have played the new Lemon Twigs album everyday for a week. It's stunning!

Anonymous said...

same show, another angle. this one's the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7O-AJg2NqE

VR