Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Songs I Was Genetically Bred to Love: Special “Les Brindilles de Citron” Edition

From their just released Everything Harmony, please enjoy The Lemon Twigs and their jangle-fest for the ages "Ghost Run Free."

That's my favorite from the album at the moment, but frankly that choice changes every fifteen minutes or so; the whole thing is just so damn great that you can't go wrong with any of it. That said, "Ghosts" (which is kind of an outlier, sylistically, among the album's 13 tracks) was clearly designed with my mind in mind, as the Firesign Theatre put it, and I frankly swoon the minute I hear those guitars and vocals echoing the Byrds, Big Star, Hollies, and about a zillion other archtypal power pop auteurs. Oh hell, if you're reading this here blog I don't have to tell you.

I should add that the other day, over at Sal's Burning Wood, I suggested -- in what I meant as a tongue-in-cheek way -- that an apt alternate title for the record might be The Great Lost Nazz Album.

On sober reflection, however, I'm not so sure I was kidding. In any event, go get the album immediately, lest your life be the poorer for it.

8 comments:

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

0/a very agreeable song

1/i bought nazz, and nazz nazz, and nazz iii on vinyl at the earliest opportunity - they are going for surprising prices now, according to amazon

2/i was born 364 days before todd rundgren and have been to more performances by him than any other pop star

3/as to the firesign theatre, so often i quote, or muse upon,

"This is the future. You got to live it, or live with it."

we all were young then, so the third option, "get out of the way" - at a time TBD - was not explicitly mentioned

JB said...

Just received my copy of the new record, will be listening later today. I wonder if they've ever approached Todd to produce at some point.

Gummo said...

Just bought the digital download.

Anonymous said...

And they can pull it off live and rockin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vost77FNiA

VR

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I forgot to mention that, in yesterday's image of your forthcoming book, I was drawm to Bill Stout's art work for the Pig's Eye bootleg,"The Rolling Stones In Exotic Honolulu," which is hanging above your desk.

VR

steve simels said...

VR — a coveted PowerPop NoPrize© for noticing the Bill Stout artwork.😎

Anonymous said...

hey are the real deal. Been catching them at SXSW for the past few years and they have the goods.

This one sounds like the great lost mid 70's Todd Rundgren Paul McCartney collaboration that never was.

Just a wonderful record that is both new and retro.

Vince

danny1959 said...

I hear A LOT of Rundgren's influence on this album.