Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Surf’s Up

[I originally wrote the following for the comments section back in 2006, before NY Mary had given me the metaphorical keys to the car around here. It was occasioned, specifically, by Mary's surprise that I rated the Beach Boys as high as I did in the American 60s pantheon; she didn't agree, obviously, and I thought it might be fun to try to make some kind of cogent statement on the subject. In any case, I stand by the resuts, and I am reliably informed that Mary has mellowed on the lads from Hawthorne over the years. As I also thought it might make an interesting entry in my forthcoming greatest hits book, I've taken the liberty of reposting it in advance here while changing a minor thing or three to more accurately represent my current, er, thinking. Enjoy!]

NYMary:

I must confess I find it a little odd to be writing this -- the Beach Boys music is pretty much my lingua franca, and the idea that they need defending feels weird to me given how much I love them (although I understand your skepticism, at least in the abstract. After all, Mike Love sucks).

In any event, here's why I think they deserve respect from mere mortals like you and me.

TEN REASONS THE BEACH BOYS ARE SELF-EVIDENTLY ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT AMERICAN BANDS OF THE SIXTIES.

IF NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT.

1. They invented an instantly recognizable sound of their own, one that practically defines a genre. Very few rock artists can make that claim. (Chuck Berry with "Johnny B Goode", The Byrds with "Tambourine Man," the Ramones, and maybe U2). That alone should guarantee the Beach Boys immortality.

2. What Raymond Chandler did for California in prose the Beach Boys did in music. They reflected a place and a time and made a kind of poetry out of it. They were not fake.

3. Five part harmonies, astoundingly gorgeous. And Brian's conception -- mating progressive jazz voicings a la the Four Freshman with classic doo-wop -- was totally unique. Here's a 1965 live clip that proves the point -- and if this a capella version of the Freshman's "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring"doesn't put a lump in your throat, you need to check your meds.

4. From their inception in the early 60s, they were pretty much the only self-contained rock band in America. Wrote all their own songs, produced their own records. Who else was doing that?

5. Kick-ass live act. If you doubt it, listen to "Beach Boys Concert," get a video of their closed-circuit show from '64, or find "The TAMI Show" video, in which -- performing on the same bill with the Stones, James Brown and most of the Motown acts, they tear the audience to shreds. Carl Wilson was a killer surf guitarist, and the rhythm section was as good as anybody in rock at the time.

Here's their British TV debut on Top of the Pops -- from 1964, totally live versions of "I Get Around" and "When I Grow Up."

6. Contrary to myth, they were not white bread at all. Carl and Dennis Wilson were as soulful singers in the r&b sense as anybody else working in the mid-Sixties. And that includes Stevie Winwood or Felix Cavaliere.

7. The car and surf songs are actually quite brilliant. Who else ever conceived of writing love songs to a carburetor? And has any rock song ever conveyed as much sheer teenage elan as "Fun Fun Fun" or "I Get Around"?

8. Brian's best songs from the early period anticipate the confessional singer/songwriter LA genre. "Don't Worry Baby" may be as nakedly emotional and self-revealing as anything Joni Mitchell ever wrote. Ditto "Warmth of the Sun" or "In My Room" or "When I Grow Up."

9. The albums that preceed the sainted Pet Sounds and Smile are masterpeices. The Beach Boys Today, Brian's first real studio concept album, is masterly; "When I Grow Up" isn't even the best song on it (try "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" or the astounding Sinatra goes r&b of "The Back of My Mind" sung by Dennis). It's every bit as good as Rubber Soul in terms of consistency and melodic invention. The follow-up -- Summer Days and Summer Nights, of which "California Girls" is simply the icing on the cake, is even better -- it's every bit Brian's Revolver. He never used the studio more impressively than "Let Him Run Wild" or emulated the Beatles with the riffy brilliance of "Girl Don't Tell Me."

10. The album that follows the sainted Pet Sounds and Smile is another masterpiece. Wild Honey is one of the handful of great white r&b albums of the period, and if you doubt it check out the title song or Carl's gorgeous reading of Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her." And in it's back to basics way, it's very much of a piece with the Beatles White Album.

I could go on about the Beach Boys early 70s output -- you could make a fabulous comp album with songs like "Marcella" (one of their best ever rockers), "This Whole World" (Brian's canniest pocket symphony), "All I Wanna Do"(the most glorious use of reverb in history), "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" (progressive rockabilly, if you can believe it), "Do It Again" and any number of others up through "Trader" on Holland.

The decline after that was appalling, to be sure, but you get my point....the Beach Boys have a huge body of really transcendent work, and Brian wasn't the only big talent in the band.

Have I mentioned that Mike Love sucks?

10 comments:

Gummo said...

... the Beach who?

JB said...

Almost everything from Today thru Holland has pieces of pop brilliance. Yes, there is some corny stuff sprinkled amongst the genius, but who cares. The overlooked, Little Girl I Once Knew is a mini-masterpiece. Surf's Up with 'Til I Die, geez, that song crushes me every time I hear it, and that's not even my favorite on the record.

The Beach Boys are easily No.1 US band.

daudder said...

Perhaps some hyperbole, but can't get over the kitschy nostalgia of their "cars and surf" songs, which sound as twee of their moment (like the surf and beach movies of the early '60s.

There were some incredible songs (God Only Knows, Feel Flows, for example).

Allan Rosenberg said...

While I disagree with you on some of the details I totally agree that The Beach Boys were one of the all time great rock & roll acts.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mike Love sucks and any band that will have him...

Anonymous said...

As a bona fide California surfer girl, who looks walks and drives like an ace, all I can say is "My love's like the warmth of the sun. It will never die."

VR

Also, Dennis Wilson was a fox.

Alzo said...

Mike and his brother Steve took control of the band after 'Holland' tanked and then Capitol released the hugely successful 'Endless Summer' compilation. They basically said 'Screw art, let's make money' and became the oldies circuit cash cow.
I swear, this band had the worst management this side of Badfinger.

danny1959 said...

LA bands almost always have a skeevy, creepy underbelly, and The Beach Boys are no exception, but I think that makes their music more interesting.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you've written. Good lyrics have been a problem for some of their songs, but Pet Sounds makes up for all of it. And Warmth of the Sun could be one of the most beautiful songs around, both musically and lyrically

Gardner said...

My answer is "yes, all of the above."

If you haven't checked out Brian's newest album, "At My Piano," please do so at your earliest convenience. It's a subtle masterpiece. Brian at one piano, or sometimes two, or sometimes more (report back), revealing that the heart and soul of this music are still, miraculously, present. All that, and a thrilling tour of how the music was composed.