Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Song of the Year. Okay, Song of the Year So Far, But Still...

...and also Video of the Year, and I'm pretty sure I can state that with no fear of later qualification.

In any event, from his his recently released album Armageddon, please enjoy (the previously unknown to me) Marc Ribler's Story Road, and their (co-written with Steve Van Zandt) drop dead hilarious and wonderful ode to everybody's favorite talk show host "Dick Cavett."

In all seriousness, that is so great on every level I lack the words.

On a personal level, however, I should add that I actually attended a Cavett taping back in the period most of those clips derive from. The special guest was...

...Raquel Welch, who was as, er, fetching as you might have heard. I think it was 1972, and I have no idea why I was there, but I seem to remember thinking that Bobby Rosengarden and the house band were really good, especially in their version of Leonard Bernstein's Candide overture, which was Cavett's theme song.

I should also add that I discovered the Ribler song a few weeks ago over at our pal Sal Nunziato's invaluable Burning Wood blog. So if you've already seen/heard it, mea culpa, but I just had to share. Thanks, Sal!

Oh, and I should also also add that you can snag a physical copy or stream Armageddon over at Amazon HERE.

5 comments:

ChrisE said...

Good song and part of the fun of the video for the song is trying to identify all the celebrities that are in the clips from Cavett's old show (I got most of them). Nice touch, too, that they used Steve Van Zandt's cohort from "The Sopranos", Vincent Pastore (a.k.a. Big Pussy), in the video.

MJConroy said...

What a cool video!!
I loved his show back in the day - remember watching the show after Woodstock.

JB said...

Great video. I have always loved Cavett, and I am glad he is still with us.

Anonymous said...

I don’t know about song of the year but it might very well be the video of the year.

Captain Video (Al). :-)

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

If you are lucky enough to be my age - Cavett and the Smother Bros. were the smartest, hippest TV you could watch.
rob