Wednesday, February 14, 2024

The Blog By Numbers: Special Post Over-Hyped Non-Blizzard Edition

[In which we catch up with a bunch of brief and/or dumb stuff that I've been meaning to post for a while, but hadn't gotten around to for whatever reason.]

1. It's the Only Way to Travel!!!

In case you're wondering, that's my old friend David Achelis and his band 8Ace doing a home-recorded version of my second all-time favorite Paul Revere and the Raiders song. Pretty darn fabulous, if I'm any judge of horseflesh. Also: A coveted PowerPop No-Prize© will be awarded the first reader who guesses my number 1 fave Raiders song. Hint: It's not one of the hits.

2. Jann Wenner May Be Gone, But His Assholery Lives On!

You'll note that celebrated rocker Sade (or Sadie, as we call her around Casa Simels) gets a nod this year, but Warren Zevon, Procol Harum and The Monkees are still decidely Non-U -- as Nancy Mitford used to say down at the pub -- in RHOF circles.

3. I'll Take "the British Invasion" for One Hundred, Alex!

An actual screen cap from last Monday's Jeopardy. Damn, I'm gonna have to start watching that show again.

4. Rock en EspaƱol is Here to Stay!!!

Heard that one for the first time at my fabulous Forest Hills watering hole the Keuka Kafe yesterday (thanks, Itzel!). Juanes was previously unknown to me, and when that video popped up on my Shazam, I immediately figured there must have been a large Spanish speaking contingent of the Seattle Grunge community of the early 90s. But nooooo -- turns out the kid was born and raised in Colombia, is a big Metallica fan, and the song itself dates from 2004. Cool stuff, in any case. BTW, the song's title translates as "See You Again."

5. Songs I Only Wish Had Been Played on MTV

Heh.

10 comments:

ChrisE said...

Re Steve's favorite Raiders' song: I'm gonna guess "Louise."

Re the RHOF nominees: Some of the sports halls-of-fame have, or used to have, a Veterans category, to make sure older nominees who should have gotten in but weren't obvious slam-dunks did ultimately get in. It would be a good idea for the RHOF to do something similar: maybe make it for acts from the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

BTw, in addition to the Monkees, Procol and Zevon, Paul Revere & The Raiders are still NOT in the RHOF, as far as I know.

John K said...

I'm guessing the fave Raiders song is In My Community.

Gummo said...

They should just stop pretending and call it The Pop Music Hall of Fame.

Because there seems to be a concerted effort to induct people who literally hve no connection to rock-n-roll in any form whatsoever.

Which is fine, honor whoever you want, but why call it the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame? Just for that sweet Boomer cash, I guess.

As for the Dave Davies answer on Jeopardy - referencing 60 year old trivia isn't cutting edge, even if taking a razor blade to your speaker is.

steve simels said...

John K -- you guessed it! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!

Seriously -- I'm gobsmacked anybody got it.

In any case, your coveted PowerPop No-Prize© is winging its way to you by Owl* Express!!! Enjoy!!!






*A reference to Flaco, the most famous owl in New York City. Look him up, if you haven't heard the story.

Gummo said...

A Superb Owl.

pete said...

It's time to stop talking about the RRHOF. It's never been relevant but now it's actually anti-relevant.

Alzo said...

Fave Rave Raiders song? Could it be 'Crisco Party?'

Allan Rosenberg said...

Rock & Roll always gets co-opted, including its hall.

By the way, is this the only time in the last 40 years that Jann Wenner came out looking at least slightly good? The nominees list has never been this dreadful before.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Lenny Kravitz?!

Just wow.

I remember reading one of the benchmarks for getting into the Hall. It was "imagine Rock without (nominee)"..

You know like, Elvis, and Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry kind of thing.



mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

i enjoyed lenny's cover of 'whole lotta love' at the kennedy center led zep honors show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oDk89yHzo