Monday, October 29, 2007

Bottle Blonde on Blonde

Wondrous times we live in. Having just gotten over my excitement for Islamofascist Awareness Week, I am now informed by extremely irksome New York Times gushing fanboy pop music critic Kelefa Sanneh that the underpantless Britney Spears has a new album out tomorrow. Apparently, it's her 8&1/2. Or Nevermind. Or A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. Or something.



From Sanneh's review:

If that sounds depressing, then you should hear “Piece of Me,” produced by the Swedish duo of Bloodshy & Avant, the same team that produced her 2003 song “Toxic.” Introduced by a sludgy bass line, Ms. Spears waxes defensive, in a heavily synthesized voice that’s the main (and sometimes only) instrument: “I’m Miss Bad-Media-Karma, another day another drama/Guess I can’t see the harm in working and being a mama.”

Over and over comes a refrain — “You want a piece of me” — that could be an accusation or an invitation or a threat. And the producers set upon her like ravenous fans, building her up (by dropping out the bass line) and then knocking her around (by shifting her pitch). Together they evoke the horror, the exhilaration and (finally) the boredom of the overexamined life. It’s brilliant.


Maybe it's just me, but that last "It's brilliant" seems a tad overstated. I was thinking more along the lines of "It's slick, soulless and butt-ugly but I don't necessarily want to kill myself when I hear it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it Sanneh has never heard Missing Persons. They did this better like 20 years ago.

dave™© said...

Hey, Steverino - let's not forget that big new Eagles album!

Which will be available only at WalMart. How apropos is that?

TMink said...

Wow, that is TOO funny about only available at WalMart. Wow. That strikes me as an amazing sell out, I hope it is worth it to them.

In reference to the OP, in some ways I do not care about the private life of artists, just the art. It is not important to me who Joni slept with, but Evergreen moves me, as does Coyote. It is the universality of the music that is powerful to me more than the personal story behind the music.

Just my thoughts.

Trey