Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gimmie Mick!

Courtesy of the good folks at Rhino Records, I just got a copy of The Very Best of Mick Jagger, which purports to anthologize the highpoints of what I (and I think most Stones fans) consider to be a solo career largely devoid of same.

To my surprise, however, it's much better than I expected. A lot of the stuff from the solo albums isn't as blah as I recalled ("Just Another Night," in particular, holds up rather well), there are two great previously unreleased tracks (one produced by John Lennon, the other a really terrific Sonny Boy Williamson tune cut live with ace L.A blues band The Red Devils and producer Rick Rubin), and I had completely forgotten how much fun the 1978 "Don't Look Back" duet with Peter Tosh was.

And, of course, there's this, which pretty much justifies the package all by itself.



With a mystery solved, incidentally -- it was heretofore well known that Ry Cooder was the guy playing all the cool guitar stuff; but Rhino's liner notes reveal that the rhythm section is none other than Stevie Winwood and the late Jim Capaldi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mick in drag. Cool.

Anonymous said...

Memo From Turner is the greatest Stones song the Stones never did. It's pure decadence without the straining-for-decadence of so many Stones songs of the time.

I bought the Performance soundtrack just for that song. (Luckily, it was in a bargain bin.) Little did I know that it also contained one of Randy Newman's greatest performances, an actual rock song called Gone Dead Train.

Alas, most of my record collection from N to R was lost in the Great Water Leak of '03.

dave™© said...

So does the Cooder-Winwood-Capaldi backing go for both the film version and the recorded version of the song?

Anonymous said...

I think the film version is the only version. I do know that Cooder is on the version in the Stones' London SIngles Box.

I'd put "Memo from Turner" just below "We Love You" for tops songs that you hadn't already heard on that box.