Monday, August 23, 2021

Don Everly 1937-2021

Both of the legendary Everly Brothers have now passed on, which means the world is a much duller place.

Seriously, the first rock and roll record I bought with my own lunch money was their breakthrough hit "Bye Bye Love," a song whose sentiments probably would still make sense to contemporary teens.

I was ten years old when that came out, and everybody I knew -- mostly girls, but most everybody else as well -- thought Don and Phil were the coolest and sexiest guys on the planet.

That said, THIS is my all time favo)8nEngland9rite of their records. From 1965, specifically from their epochal Two Yanks In England LP -- written and backed up by The Hollies -- please enjoy "Don't Run and Hide."

Hey, what can I say? There were giants in the Earth in those days.

5 comments:

edward said...

When I read the LA times obit yesterday, I was shocked to learn Don Everly was survived by his mother! She has to be over 100 years old.

pete said...

And their father more or less invented fingerpicking guitar.

pete said...

There are live vids of them from the bad old days where they obviously can't stand to look at each other, but the voices still blend perfectly. Ars Longa Vita Brevis.

cthulhu said...

Frank and Jesse can now hang out with Warren again…

John Werner said...

Unquestionably the best two-part harmonies ever in the rock idiom. Pop vocals never had such muscle and beauty simultaneously.