Monday, August 16, 2021

Great Lost Singles of the Sixties: Part I -- Special "Tempus Fugit" Edition

[The backstory: Sometime in the 'aughts -- not exactly sure when -- I found myself suddenly unemployed and stuck in the wilds of New Jersey taking care of my ailing mother. This was before NY Mary (bless her heart) handed me the keys to the car at PowerPop and also before I started playing music again, so obviously a boy needed a hobby. Anyway, for some reason I can't recall, I decided to make what they used to refer to as mixtapes, i.e. compilation CDs of whatever music struck my fancy. And I brainstormed a concept I called "Great Lost Singles of the (Fill in the Decade), which took up my time most divertingly. I would work on these things for weeks, and then burn discs of them and snail-mail the results to all my friends. Hey -- it prevented me from dying of terminal boredom.

In any case, I thought I had lost any remnant of the project until the other day, when my beautiful and brilliant girlfriend informed me that the discs were all actually archived in her iTunes library. Hence this week's stuff. I suspect I will be spending the next few weeks doing the Greatest Hits from the rest of the CDs thereof. Enjoy! -- S.S.]

From 1967, please enjoy The McCoys (featuring Rick Derringer) and their psychedelic masterpiece on the the passing of time "Beat the Clock." In stereo, as it was meant to be.

I had the 45 mono verion of this (on Bang)...

...for ages, and essentially wore it out. When it showed up on the McCoys best-of CD above in (for want of a better phrase) widescreen decades later, it was, frankly, a life-changer.

Tomorrow: One of the greatest records ever made by one of the greatest British blues-rockers who ever tied his shoe laces by himself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to be a good week on the blog.

Captain Al

Alzo said...

You know this is just going to underline how today's pop songwriters can't write a decent melody to save their lives, don't you?

steve simels said...

Heh.🤪

FD13NYC said...

Good song, proves they were more than just Hang On Sloopy.

pete said...

As the recipient of your mix-tapes let me add to the chorus of thanks.