Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Great Lost Singles of the Sixties: Part II --Special “You Could Do Magic” Edition

From 1966, and that mixtape I was discussing with you yesterday, please enjoy the incomparable Alan Price and his first solo single after exiting The Animals.

An astounding cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins classic "I Put a Spell on You.'

That one is one of the most mind-blowing records of its era, and it holds up gloriously. I should add that I actually learned how to play that classical organ intro when it came out. Because I had nothing else to do that year.

Tomorrow -- this one you won't believe. Let's just say it's the greatest cover of a song by folk-rocker John Stewart ever.

2 comments:

Squints said...

Anne Murray in 3...2...1?

I kid.

Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Very, very underrated.

Captain Al