Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Great Lost Singles of the Sixties: Part III -- Special "Music Row" Edition

From 1968, please enjoy (what was left of) The Lovin' Spoonful and their final official single, a stunning version of John Stewart's "Never Going Back."

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this was essentially a Spoonful contractual obligation single, and the only member of the original band on it is drummer/singer Joe Butler, who does stellar work. I should also add that the track is produced by Chip Douglas, who did The Monkees Headquarters album, for which he deserves respect by all who walk upright.

I should also also add that -- if memory serves -- this was one of the earliest 45 rpm discs to be issued in stereo, although I'm not completely sure about that.

I should also also also add that sometime in the 70s, the song's composer did a live version...

...whose outro sounds amazingly like the end of the original version of a certain song from the first Velvet Underground album.

8 comments:

edward said...

"and this song is a lie"
Always had a soft spot for John Stewart.

Anonymous said...

Such a good song. Both you posted are excellent.

For a more amplified version, try The Beat Farmers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1MNKn9wfM

-- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

I think Steve Boone may have still been along for the ride for the recording of this album.

Captain Al

steve simels said...

I have a connection with Joe Butler…I’ll check.

Anonymous said...

May I suggests you try to do a semi-in-depth interview with Joe Butler about the recording of the single and album. We know very little of those last days of the Spoonfu land I for one would love to know more.

Heck, include the interview in the upcoming book.

Captain Al

steve simels said...

BTW, that's matricidal drummer Jim Gordon on the pagan skins on the live version. :-)

ChrisE said...

Jim Gordon would be a fascinating subject for a biography or documentary. Very talented, very busy session drummer (the successor to Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer in the L.A. studio scene) who gradually descended into alcoholism, drug abuse, mental illness and, finally, murder. He is in his mid-70s now, still in jail and will probably never get out.

AK said...

Wow, that live version has got it going on. You thinking of that bashing rhythm of I'm Waiting for the Man? I'm getting that.