Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Stacks of Tracks

Breathes there a sentient mammal who does not believe that the Miracles "Tracks of My Tears" is as perfect a record as has ever been made?



Here's a clip that gives a few clues to how it happened. It starts with the song full blown, then cuts to the fabulous Funk Brothers (the Motown house band who provide the backing), then to the instrumentals plus the Miracles harmonies (allowing you to grok the gospel influence), and finally a fade out with just Smokey Robinson's solo vocal drenched in studio reverb, ghostly and beautiful.

This was the first Motown single I ever bought, BTW. Played it obsessively for weeks...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, ya got me with this one. Love, love, love it ... played the Miracles greatest hits to death from HS all the way through college. Even in the midst of all that psychedelia, this is what did it for me. Smokey's voice still gives me chills.

And "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" was the first DVD I ever bought.

steve simels said...

Smokey's voice still gives me chills.


Tell me about it...
:-)

four legs good said...

I loves me this song. And some Motown in general.

Pure bliss.

Anonymous said...

Bastard! Wanted to make this a SINGTO tomorrow...