Monday, June 22, 2020

Cue Barenaked Ladies and "Brian Wilson"

Friend of PowerPop Bill Lloyd -- a fabulous pop/rock/country artist who I've been a fan of since forever (including the Stereo Review days -- has shared an amazing reminiscence in honor of Brian Wilson's 78th birthday (which was this past Saturday).

Quick story; when Foster & Lloyd opened for The Beach Boys in San Carlos CA in 1990, there were four shows, an afternoon and evening show on a Saturday and Sunday. Rad Foster and I just played acoustic sets but it went over just fine. This was during the time Brian was somewhat estranged from the band and still under Landy's rule to my knowledge. He showed up on the Sunday show as a surprise and in a last-minute rehearsal, they commandeered our dressing room to warm up. It was THIS song they did together. So please just imagine us outside with our ears pressed to the door hearing them run this down like it was effortless.

Here's the song in question, live from The Andy Williams show in 1966.



I can't even imagine what it must have been like for Bill to hear that under the circumstances he describes. Hell, I wept openly today while watching the video.

BTW, I should add that my old band The Hi-Beams -- AKA The Floor Models Mark II -- were lucky enough to open for Foster and Lloyd sometime in the late 80s, which was one of the great thrills of my adult life.

2 comments:

JDGoldberg said...

This is the song that I played at my father’s funeral. He had said once when we were listening to it “if I’m in the hospital play this song for me. If I don’t respond to it, I’m gone.” My dad was a huge Four Freshmen fan and loved all kinds of music...a gift he gave to me. And yes, he loved The Beach Boys version too.

steve simels said...

Words fail me, pal.