Friday, June 19, 2020

Your Friday Moment of Teenage Glossolalia

From 1972, and their fabulous live reunion album...


...please enjoy Dion and the Belmonts and the opening track "I Wonder Why."



This is one of the greatest rock songs of all time, not just one of the greatest doo-wop songs, and that whole album is just stellar. I hadn't thought about it in years, but attentive readers are aware that I've been listening to Dion's new one of late, and thus was moved to grab a CD copy of the live album a few days ago; I was pleased to discover that it's as good as I remembered. I should add that it didn't get as much critical acclaim as it deserved back in '72, when it was unfairly dismissed as a sort of rock revival piece of nostalgia, which it most assuredly isn't.

Incidentally, and in the interest of full disclosure, the term "teenage glossolalia" was first applied to "I Wonder Why" by the great Greil Marcus in in his indispensable rock history tome Mystery Train.

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!!

6 comments:

Squints said...

Their take on Where Or When slays me to this day.

I walked backwards through the Dion catalog after the new one came out. Every now and then there are unfortunate production choices -- of their time, so whaddya gonna do? But the work mostly shines through.

Shoulda been biggah, latah.

steve simels said...

Eggs. Ackley.

Sal Nunziato said...

Are you familiar with the reunion album from 1967? It's pretty damn good. Dial up, "My Girl, The Month Of May" for starters.

steve simels said...

Sal — that’s a new one on me. Thanks for the heads up.

pete said...

always loved Dion, even before I knew why. I just knew he was great.

Chilton programs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.