Sunday, December 12, 2021

Goodbye Wool Hat: Part II -- The Floor Models Play Mike Nesmith

From a low dive in Greenwich Village (the Other End Cafe), sometime in late 1981 or early 1982, please enjoy the fabulous Floor Models (featuring a bass player whose name rhymes with Sleeve Nimels)...

...and their convincingly energetic garage band take on The Monkees' "You Just May Be the One." A song written by the late great Michael Nesmith.

In case you couldn't tell, that was recorded on a drunken night by somebody using a boom box directly in front of the stage. Obviously, it's something we wouldn't put out on a record, but the spirit clearly was willing at the time we did it. And in any case, I absolutely adore the song, and I always looked forward to the slot in the set when it was time to perform it.

And therein lies a story.

Sometime around when that clip was recorded, I was fortunate enough to attend a press party celebrating the release of Nesmith's innovative and Grammy-winning long form music video ELEPHANT PARTS...

...at some posh hotel off Central Park (as I recall).

The short version: Nez was there, working the room as they say, and after enjoying some complimentary food and adult beverages, as was the custom back then, I screwed up my courage.

I confronted him -- and I could tell he figured me, rightly, as some kind of obnoxious fan boy -- and I said "Hi, Mike, I think your music is absolutely great."

He gave me The Look, by which I mean he was obviously thinking -- oh god, another one of these pathetic schmucks who haven't gotten over the Monkees TV show. And then I said "I just wanna tell you I'm in a band that plays your "You Just May Be the One" all the time."

And then his eyes lit up, he smiled from ear to ear, and he shook my hand and said "Hey man, that's way cool -- I thank you."

Needless to say, it was one of the great thrills of my adult life.

3 comments:

dorethyroad@aol.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FD13NYC said...

That is way cool!

Squints said...

This is pretty nifty. I'd go pretty nuts if any band I was seeing did this.

I love the little (well, probably pretty big in the actual room) Spectorian/Weinbergian drum fourish behind the opening chords.