Thursday, December 30, 2021

Your Thursday Moment of "The Worst Thing in the World"!

Hey -- this is bad.

From his also atrocious 1981 album Breaking All the Rules, please forgive me for posting Peter Frampton's rancid cover of The Easybeats classic "Friday on My Mind," a song I heretofore (incorrectly) assumed was impervious to sounding like shit regardless of who did it.

I had (mercifully) forgotten the existence of the above until yesterday, when I stumbled across a review I'd written of the aforementioned album while doing some research for the forthcoming book of my literary greatest hits (which will be coming some time in the new year, but that's an issue for another posting).

In any case, said album was Frampton's unsuccessful attempt at restoring his squandered rock credibility in the wake of the appalling commercial success of the indefensible Frampton Comes Alive juggernaut. Way to (not) go, Pete,

In any event -- boy, does that suck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're correct, it's very, very clueless.

Captain Al

Shriner said...

OK what am I missing here? It's a pretty perfunctory cover (with an not-great guitar solo tacked on at the end because it's Frampton...). But it's otherwise played straight. it's not *great*, but I've heard worse covers.

Explain it to me. (I agree the entire album -- which is the only Frampton album I own -- it kind of "meh".)

steve simels said...

I was in a bad mood when I heard it.😀

Anonymous said...

So, which is worse - Frampton's version, or the one done by David Bowie?

Alzo said...

Bowie's version is eccentric as only he could make it. The vocal here is atrocious- Frampton is forcing it.