Monday, December 20, 2021

Your Monday Moment of Words Fail Me

So the other day I was talking about Camille Saint-Saens with my chum Tim Page (Pulitzer-prize winning former music critic for the NY Times) over at Facebook (pardon me -- Meta). And I let it drop that, when I was a kid, one of my favorite classical records was an early mono LP version of Carnival of the Animals, featuring Noel Coward declaiming the verses Ogden Nash wrote to accompany the piece.

And then another commenter said that he'd also had the same LP as a kid, and loved it as much as I did. Which didn't surprise me particularly, except that the guy turned out to be none other than...Tim Moore.

Yes. The same gentleman who wrote and recorded one of the greatest power pop songs of all time.

As Cristina Applegate said on Married With Children -- the mind wobbles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck Meta!

Bring back the Intertubes, back when the world was young and shiny!

Very cool you meeting him, that is a classic track.

Captain Al

GLLinMO said...

In the midwest we only got the cover by the Bay City Rollers. Appreciate the updateb

Anonymous said...

My favorite Tim Moore track has always been "Avenging Annie", particularly the cover of it as done by Roger Daltrey.

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that was Andy Pratt, not Tim Moore! My error.

Still, Roger's version is a killer cover!

MJConroy said...

Had his debut album with "Second Avenue" - a great song.