Monday, December 28, 2009

In Search Of Eddie Riff: Bubblegum Edition

First, let's begin with bubblegum kings the 1910 Fruitgum Company's 1968 hit Goody, Goody Gumdrops which reached #37 on the U.S. charts in that year. The song contains perhaps one of the corniest couplets ever to grace an American rock song: "Look into her baby blue eyes, right down to her dainty shoe size." Cringeworthy stuff indeed.




Next, let's take a listen to Redd Kross's The Faith Healer which appeared on their 1990 LP Third Eye. When I first heard this, it bugged the hell out of me for weeks that I couldn't place the chorus. A few months later I was spinning a bubblegum comp and then it hit me: they copped it from Goody, Goody! I guess I should have known given the record had another tune on it called Bubblegum Factory. Extra points also for the cool Pet Sounds middle section.



3 comments:

The Phantom Creep said...

Yup, same chorus. Not sure which song I prefer though, due to the rather watery lead vocal on the Red Kross.
:-)

Excellent call, though.

ms. rosa said...

Wowers! That's pretty facsimilous.

Anonymous said...

OK, I get these guys now.That's the kind of band I always wanted to be in.
The drummer sells that song.