Monday, July 16, 2007

Sharp Dressed Men

You may recall (or shudder to think, for that matter) that Friday's Listomania competition was for the Coolest Looking/Best Dressed rock band ever (kudos and huzzahs to all who contributed, BTW). Senile old coot that I am, however, I failed to include Los Straitjackets, seen here performing the haunting love theme from the cinematic classic Psycho Beach Party, in my personal Top 10 list.



Needless to say, any contemporary surf band that performs in Mexican wrestling costumes is the essence of sartorial cool almost by definition.

7 comments:

Kid Charlemagne said...

There was a surf band in that video?? I was distracted by the Ann Margaretesque dancer.

TMink said...

Well, nice masks, but the music hit me harder than the outfits. And they are from Nashville, who knew!

Another band on my growing list of future purchases. This blog is going to bankrupt me.

Trey

steve simels said...

Trey --

They're really a lot fun...there's a live clip from Conan that's probably on YouTube somewhere that's particularly good....

steve simels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve simels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TMink said...

Thanks for the tip Steve. While I do not have much, I find surf music strangely compelling! My current favorite is Hava Nigala by Dick Dale. But I have a lot to buy and learn about the genre. Los Straitjackets have moved to the top of the buy list.

Trey

steve simels said...

Trey:

ACtually, the best band now working that style is (IMHO) Laika and the Cosmonauts, Finland's greatest musical export since Sibelius.

They're actually more than just a surf band -- they're a 60's influenced instrumental combo with influences including movie music (Mancini and John Barry), crazy Joe Meek's productions (Telstar et al) and all sorts of other groovy stuff. Check out their album "The Amazing Collosal Band" which is quite delightfully brilliant.