Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Beast in Me

From 1996, please enjoy Australia's finest band, You Am I, and their hilarious B-side cover of The Mummies' classic ode to inter-species conflict "(You Must Fight to Live) On the Planet of the Apes."


Incidentally, the ape in the above picture -- a chimpanzee, obviously -- is J. Fred Muggs, who served as the Willard Scott to host Dave Garroway on the original Today show between 1953 and 1957. I met J. Fred at the New Jersey State Fair in 1957, when I was ten years old. I vividly remember that he was sitting on a tire swing, and that a bunch of us kids were on line to get our pictures taken; in my case, however, when I got to the front, the little bastard bit me.

Hey, I was fricking ten, and it was traumatic.

Anyway, I was gratified to read the little bastard's Wiki entry and discover that he was fired from Today for biting Martha Raye on the arm. I was less gratified, however, when I learned that the little bastard is actually still living in Florida with his girlfriend, a lady chimp named Phoebe B. Phoebe.

Okay, after that monumentally pointless digression, let me simply add that you can download the You Am I song HERE; as always, if the authorization has expired by the time you get there, just e-mail me and blah blah blah.

Or if I've got the hang of this new file-sharing service, you can simply listen to it by clicking on this.



Actually, I think there's a way to download it from the above as well, and I'm not sure but I think their links don't expire. Somebody let me know if this works, when you get a chance.

[h/t Peter Scott]

4 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

OK some definite juju going on. I just located and downloaded every Mummies A & B side.

Rinjo Njori! said...

Compared to the Mummies this is downright slick...

Elroy said...

Downloading seems to work!

steve simels said...

Excellent!!!! Now I can, dare I say it, rule the world!!!!