Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Only the Lonely

As I've probably mentioned before, there are perfect pop records, and then there are Perfect Pop Records.

From 1996 and his fabulous solo album Times Like This, please enjoy ex-replacement Replacement and genuine Northwest rock legend Slim Dunlap and his grunge-pop reimagining of Todd Rundgren's "We Gotta Get You a Woman." The incomparable "Girlfriend," which for my money is one of those aforementioned Perfect Pop Records.

You know what to do -- just press the play button below.




Seriously, this one has it all -- a chorus/riff worthy of Buddy Holly, a vocal performance that's like a guileless version of the sly cackle animating Levon Helm's best work with The Band, an overlay of noise guitar on a three chord pop tune that somehow works even though it shouldn't, and a lyric with a heart as big as all outdoors.

Oh, and the whole thing clocks in at a breathless, miraculous one minute and fifty-nine seconds.

You can download it HERE; as always, if the authorization has expired blah blah blah e-mail me. Conversely, I am informed it's possible to download it from the divShare link up top, and their authorizations apparently do not expire, so take your pick.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Now THAT was good. In fact, I just bought the CD. Thanks, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Slim gets surprisingly little credit for being the coolest of all Replacements. It's not his fault he joined the band as Westerberg was getting boring.

John said...

Hey Steve, I have a great (well I think it's great) story about Slim when he was touring in the late 90's.However, I'm tooo loaded to type it now...That being said, you should really check out KINCH Oh My! Great Power Pop.Let me know.

TMink said...

I have noticed that many of the pop songs I consider perfect are relatively short.

Trey

Unknown said...

COULD YOU PLEEASE REAUPLOAD

steve simels said...

Timothy --

I'll reupload later this afternoon when I'm back at my home computer.

steve simels said...

Timothy -- a working link to the mp3 can be found here.

http://www.divshare.com/download/24247108-ed8

Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much and what about the rest of the album or we gotta get you a woman