Friday, April 20, 2007

Weekend Listomania

Well, it's Friday, and my Oriental houseboy Kato and I must don our costumes and go out to fight crime. Consequently, posting by moi will be sporadic for a bit.

But in the meantime, here's a fun project.

Best Record Which Sounds Eerily Like The Work of Another Artist.

[arbitrary qualifier: No obvious pastiches -- no Rutles or Dukes of Stratosphear -- need apply]

My totally off the top of my head Top Seven:

1. The Knickerbockers -- "Lies" (The Beatles)

2. Fontella Bass -- "Rescue Me" (Aretha Franklin)

3. Mouse and the Traps -- "A Public Execution" (Bob
Dylan)

4. The Jags -- "Written on the Back of My Hand" (Elvis Costello)

5. Terry Anderson -- "Weather or Not" (Keith Richards/Rolling Stones)

6. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -- "American Girl" (Byrds/Roger McGuinn)

7. Count Five -- "Pyschotic Reaction" (Yardbirds)


Join in, won't you?

8 comments:

CyFlorist said...

Hope you and Kato have a good weekend, Mr. Simels;)

My contribution?

The View- "Same Jeans" (Cornershop)

NYMary said...

Oh, in this genre, this could go on for months!

Let's just start with FOW, "Stacey's Mom" (The Cars) and "Supercollider" (Oasis).

Gardner said...

Dunno if it's exact, but Klaatu's "Sub Rosa Subway" sure does sound like the Beatles, a mashup of "Hello Goodbye" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" with a dollop of Wings as a garnish.

And of course "Here Comes the Sun King" starts out sounding like Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross," at least a little....

Anonymous said...

Queensryche - "Silent Lucidity" (Pink Floyd)

tikistitch said...

No one else has ever heard of it (not that that has ever stopped me before) but I'm awfully fond of Cotton Mather's "My Before and After" as a parallel universe Beatles tune.

tikistitch said...

Oh, and for faux Paul McCartney, Badfinger's "Day After Day," also one of my fave songs evar.

I'll shut up now....

Anonymous said...

Stealer's Wheel - "Stuck In The Middle With You (Bob Dylan)

America - "Horse With No Name" (Neil Young) [also the stoopidest lyrics, bar none]

The Knack - "Your Number Or Your Name" (Beatles)

The Kenosha Kid said...

Green Day - Misery (The Kinks)