Wednesday, April 18, 2007

John Lennon is Dead, Yet Peter Frampton Walks the Streets a Free Man

And may we introduce to you -- the trailer for the legendarily awful film version of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.



I was actually acquainted with the guy who wrote this steaming pile of offal, and a bitchier old queen you never met. He hated rock-and-roll and considered the film his revenge on the music.

Ah, good times.

I bring the whole dismal affair up as a warning, however.

Think there couldn't possibly be a worse two hours of celluloid with a soundtrack of bad Beatles covers?

Wrong. Julie Taymor's Across the Universe is coming soon to a theater near you.

5 comments:

NYMary said...

As I have noted before, I have a soft spot for this movie and own it on DVD. And I think they'd make it again in a heartbeat, possibly with Sanjaya as Billy Shears.

Okay, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

steve simels said...

"with Sanjaya as Billy Shears."

Brilliant!

Get me the Weinsteins pronto!

The Kenosha Kid said...

Maybe you are new around here Simels, but Miss Ivors thoroughly covered SPLHCB months ago.

dave™© said...

So who remembers a film from the mid/late 70s called "All This and World War Two", which consisted of WWII footage run alongside Beatles' covers?

I only mention it because there was a lavishly-produced double album box set of the soundtrack that featured Peter Gabriel doing one of the best Beatle covers ever - his version of "Strawberry Fields."

tikistitch said...

I think I might possibly be the only human being in North American who has actually sat through this atrocity *twice* in a movie theater. (The second time, I had to bring my little sister.) I think I deserve a medal. Or free therapy. Or something.