Friday, April 06, 2007

Weekend Listomania

Well, I see my cocaine stash is getting dangerously low, so my posting will be sporadic until I get in touch with Larry Kudlow's former dealer. In the meantime, here's a fun project for you guys.

Best Dylan Covers That Aren't By The Byrds or the Band!

My totally top of my head Top Eleven (in no particular order):

1. "Absolutely Sweet Marie" -- Jason and the Scorchers

2, "The Mighty Quinn" -- Manfred Mann

3. "Love Minus Zero (No Limit)" -- Eric Clapton (live at the 30th Anniversary concert)

4. "Chimes of Freedom" -- Bruce Springsteen

5. " Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" -- Neil Young (also live at the 30th Anniversary concert)

6. "Percy's Song" -- Fairport Convention

7. "If Not For You" -- George Harrison

8. "It Ain't Me Babe" -- The Turtles

9. "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" -- Them

10. "All Along the Watchtower" -- Jimi Hendrix.

11. "I'll Keep It With Mine" -- Nico

Join in, won't you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good one. Jason/Scorchers and Fairport are excellent versions.

Off the top of my own head:

Blowin' In The Wind - Stevie Wonder
Ballad Of A Thin Man - Robyn Hitchcock (as well as all of his Dylan covers)
Hurricane - Ani DiFranco
I Threw It All Away - Yo La Tengo
Mama, You Been On My Mind - Rod Stewart
Maggie's Farm - The Specials
If You Gotta Go (Si Tu Dois Partir) - Fairport Convention
If You Gotta Go, Go Now - Cowboy Junkies
Girl From The North Country - The Waterboys
Highway 61 Revisited - PJ Harvey
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Echo & The Bunnymen
Like A Rolling Stone - The Remains

Anonymous said...

We also vote for Jimmy's version of Watchtower here.

trifecta said...

A Hard Rain by Edie Brickell. I enjoyed the cover. Curse Paul Simon for whatever he has done with her.

Feral said...

Here's some of my favs;

Joan Baez - Simple Twist of Fate

Susan Tedeschi - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright

Joe Cocker - Watching the River Flow & I Shall Be Released

Harry Nilsson - Subterranean Homesick Blues

Buckwheat Zydeco - On a Night Like This

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Girl From the North Country

Etta James - Gotta Serve Somebody

And the most bizarre cover has got to be William Shatner's "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Anonymous said...

Here's an obscure one, but one I like nonetheless:

"From A Buick 6" - Died Pretty (great little-known 80s Aussie band.)

Anonymous said...

I like Lulu's cover of "The Mighty Quinn".

dave said...

C'mon, no one's gonna mention Sonny and Cher's "All I Wanna Do"?

And didn't the Animals do a cover of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" as well?

billy b said...

Jimi's version of "Rolling Stone" at Monterey pop.

I love Manfred Mann's "Mighty Quinn", also.

Unknown said...

I'm going with these threeL

Percy's Song- Fairport Convention

I Want You--Cyril Neville

Mississippi-- Dixie Chicks

YES THAT'S RIGHT, THE DIXIE CHICKS!