Sunday, April 29, 2007

We're the Young Generation And We've Got Something to Say

Next time somebody makes fun of The Monkees direct them to this video for "You Just May Be The One".



Written by the great Mike Nesmith, and if there's ever been a better opening bass riff let me know.

One of these days I'm gonna post a video of my 80s skinny tie band doing our brilliant cover of it.

NYM adds: I completely agree re: Nesmith, and while there's obviously some debate about the birth of country rock, I would argue that "Sweet Young Thing" and "Papa Gene's Blues" are right up there as foundational tracks of the genre.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for that. Mike Nesmith was a underrated pop songwriter.

Actually, they were all underrated as writers and performers. Well, except for Davy.

Gardner said...

Headquarters is a lovely album through and through. "You Told Me" is another killer track ... and there are many others (insert Traffic symbol here). I'd argue that much of the Monkees best material represented an unusually fine "architectural" fusion: Brill Building, the Grand Ole Opry, and Golden Gate Park.

I'm ready for your close-up, Mr. Simels.

dave™© said...

Probably my fave Nesmith song from the Monkees: "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round."

Great, great number...

CyFlorist said...

My intital exposure to the Monkees was watching them on Nick At Nite when I was in junior high.

As this was before I turned into a music nerd, I really don't remember a lot of the song titles.

Thanks for renewing my interest!

Attaturk said...

Nesmith was the only one in the Monkees with genuine "musical" talent beyond singing and dancing. And he was quite talented at that.

As far as "Bass Lines" though Simels.

"My Generation"