Monday, April 02, 2007

New Modest Mouse

Heard a review today of the new Modest Mouse CD. As with a lot of the neo-80's bands, I like it when I hear it, but I'm pretty agnostic when it's not actively in front of me.

I may have to change that perspective. My students have been recommending Modest Mouse to me for years, but I've been resistant for reasons which aren't all that clear to me. Then I heard today that this with new record, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, veteran Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr had joined up, giving them actual 80's cred. Nice. And it's not too Smithsy, at least not based on what I've heard, so extra nice.

Here's the first single, "Dashboard," which the link above describes as:

the most successful track on We Were Dead is the one that pushes hardest against the group's established formula: the almost gaudy single "Dashboard". With Modest Mouse's trademark itchy guitars all but drowned out by brass fanfares and slurring strings, "Dashboard" is the Vegas version of "Float On", and it works as an experiment to see just how far they can push the dissonance of Brock's multi-tracked barking against slick, commercially ambitious surroundings.




Good song, cool video. I can't let it pass, however, without noting its the clear inspiration:

No comments: