Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Die Yuppie Scum

Robert Christgau -- the Dean of American Rock Critics, and one of the few people left in this business who's actually older than me -- is....well, freaking out or something.

Over at his new home at MSN, in this week's edition of his long running Consumer Guide he has the following to say (in the "Dud" category) about the new Thom Yorke album.

I'd hoped that either I would learn to like this Thommy Boy excursus or the disaffected young professionals who hang on his every megrim would call an anxiety attack what it is. No such luck. Few believe Yorke's solo daybyew has the weight of a Radiohead album, that increasingly rare and invariably overrated thing.

Setting aside the above's general incoherence and the reference to "disaffected young professionals" (presumably the ingrates at the Village Voice who kicked him out the door -- shamefully in my opinion, but still):

"Yorke's solo daybyew"?

Oh I get it -- solo debut.

Tres hep coinage, Bob. Give us a hollaback when you get a chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, can you please explain to me what it is that makes Radiohead awesome?

There seems to be a general consensus that Radiohead is awesome, but I find everything I've heard except "Creep" excruciatingly boring.


Could this mean that I have an undiagnosed tumor on the awesome-music-appreciation part of my brain?

steve simels said...

Eli --

I've never listened to a Radiohead album from start to finish, but I find that invariably when an unfamiliar song comes on my neighborhood jokebox and I like it it's Radiohead.

Anonymous said...


"Yorke's solo daybyew"


Perhaps he was dictating.