Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest

Said it before, and I'll say it again: If anything defines the mission statement of this blog, it's Starry Eyes by the Records.

And here it is in a 1979 clip that just popped up on YouTube.



I can't speak for fellow Records obsessive NYMary, but I certainly had never seen this before. According to John Wicks, the song's auteur (and the guy singing the damn thing) "It's taken from The Midnight Special we played as guests of The Cars back in 1979. The keyboard player is Mike Taylor. He used to play with my good friend Paul Roberts' band, Sniff 'n' the Tears. (Mike replaced Ian Gibbons who'd gone on to join The Kinks)."

Wow.

That Cars' special really needs to be exhumed, BTW. If memory serves, it features the only appearance confrontational avant-garde duo Suicide ever made on network television.

6 comments:

Kid Charlemagne said...

I was wondering when this clip would show up. This is the original lineup with Huw Gower. Steve, is Huw still living in NY?

I remember that show, and if my memory serves me Iggy Pop also made an appearance as well doing "I'm Bored" from "New Values."

steve simels said...

Kid -- meant to thank you.

I sent the link to your Remains post to my old bud Tom Cording, the Legacy publicist.

He's sending me a copy of the CD.

Yay!!!!

Anonymous said...

For the life of me, I can't remember who - but I'm sure that some band covered this song in 1992(?) and did a bang-up job of it.

Am I dreaming?

steve simels said...

Ripley:

I don't know -- Google provided me this, however.
http://www.woolworthy.com/press.htm

shrimplate said...

Thanks, I needed that.

I am trying so hard to get my 9-year-old to listen to bands that aren't either The Beatles or fronted by females (Garbage, Blondie, Lavigne, etc.,) and this will help.

Me and my Strat used to stay up late doing this song as an anti-ballad. It's such a good song it could even stand up to that kind of Timex takes-a-lickin'-but-keeps-on-tickin' treatment.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am.