Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Video Killed Etc.

These guys -- late 70s Aussie band The Sports -- should have been contenders. At least that's the conclusion I've drawn after seeing this clip for "Who Listens to the Radio?".



I've always loved the song -- one of the best examples of that wonderful pop moment when first generation punk and nascent New Wave overlapped -- but until just now I'd never seen the video and consequently didn't have a face (or faces) to go with its wonderfully post-modern homage to Van Morrison channeling Major Lance. Adding to the irony, I never actually heard the damn thing on the radio, although I guess that's the point.

In any case, the band just strikes me as to die for -- charismatic (the singer obviously had no problem with being a rock star), funny (the guitar player gives great feet) and passionately into what they're doing. Classic stuff, in other words.

Damn, sometimes I hate discovering a fabulous group that's been out of business for nearly thirty years.

2 comments:

Kid Charlemagne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kid Charlemagne said...

One of the cool things about living in OH during the 70s was being close to both the Cleveland and Youngstown Agora clubs. During the period 1978-1983, I saw nearly every rising punk/new wave act of that came through town.

I do remember seeing The Sports but they didn't leave much of an impression I'm afraid.