Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Son of Irksome

Nice to know the New York Times has replaced the departed Kelefa Sanneh with another writer out of the "Everything's Great, Even the Obvious Shit" school of rock criticism.

I refer, of course, to the irrepressible Jon Caramanica.

In yesteray's Times, for example, Caramanica opened an essay taking a certain American Idol winner seriously with one of the all-time great Leads to Reviews So Unpromising No Sentient Being Could Conceive Of Reading the Rest of It:

Are we asking too much of Kelly Clarkson?

Trust me -- it gets worse, so don't say I didn't warn you.



Ladies and gentlemen, it's official -- Jon Caramanica is now, indisputably, the World's Most Irksome Rock Critic.

Kudos and huzzahs, Jon!

Update: Our good friend Sal Nunziato over at Burning Wood alerts us to this guy's review of Clarkson over at The Huffington Post. Words fail me, frankly.

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, I feel so guilty ... I didn't think I was asking anything of Kelly Clarkson.

Anonymous said...

Where have you gone, Kelly Clarkson?

A nation turns it's lonely eyes to you!

Sal Nunziato said...

Great minds think alike, and so do we.

You really want to be "irked?" Read Mike Ragogna's review on The Huffington Post. He is the Homer of pop reviews.

Wendy said...

I just clicked the HuffPo link and this is as far I got:

You've gone and turned in one tight little pop album that should get all of your American Idol cousins (except Chris Daughtry) a wee-bit green-eyed.

I may barf. Seriously. I think you need to go over there and slap some sense into him (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Kid Charlemagne said...

You really want to be "irked?" Read Mike Ragogna's review on The Huffington Post. He is the Homer of pop reviews.


Homer Simpson?

Anonymous said...

Homer Simpson famously observed that everybody know rock music achieved perfection in 1973.
:-)

Sal Nunziato said...

Gee, I hope he doesn't read Power Pop. Poor guy.

TMink said...

Whle that song was CERTAINLY insipid and plastic, I read Claskson's wikipedia entry. Seems that she used Mike Watt (fIrehose, Minutemen) on a song and pissed off Clive Davis. That elevates her to someone I would buy a beer for in my book.

Not gonna buy the music though.

Trey

Kid Charlemagne said...

You should read equally irksome WaPo music critic/fanboy J. Freedom du Lac's fawning review of the album here.

MBowen said...

I got a kick out of this fawning reply to the fawning HuffPo review:

I've read a few from other sites, and yours is the only one that reads like a review and not just an opinion.

Sheer bloody genius.