Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday Shameless Self-Indulgence Posting

Long story short: I've had an apartment's worth of stuff in a storage facility somewhere in the wilds of the Bronx for five years, and over the weekend I had it retrieved to an undisclosed location. Mostly, this is because I needed to find some old audio and video tapes of various bands I toiled in, for ongoing archival restoration projects that are occupying my golden years; fortunately, they all survived and I'll be boring you guys with excerpts from them in the coming months.

But -- some other cool stuff also turned up and I just had to share.

For example, I had completely forgotten I owned an actual 45 copy of this little piece of rock history.



I have no idea where I got it, by the way, or how long I've had it.

But this is the one that really tickles me -- it was a birthday present from my old bandmate Glen "Bob" Allen, and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. In any case, it's now framed and hanging on the wall at the home of a certain shady dame of my acquaintance.



Seriously -- isn't that just the coolest thing you've ever seen?

9 comments:

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

That is - no doubt - one of the coolest posters I've ever seen.

Why don't you make copies of it & sell 'em? I think they'd sell like Krispy Kreme sells, well, hotcakes.

steve simels said...

I think the artist

http://portfolios.aiga.org/steffgeissbuhler

might be miffed if I did.
:-)

fmcg said...

Hey, waitaminute. That's a "yellow Sun record from..." Memphis! So was John Sebastian misinformed, or was he lying, or what?

steve simels said...

The greatest goof in pop music history. I can't believe nobody in the Spoonful caught that at the time.

The second greatest? Harry Chapin's WOLD. I forget what town the station is supposed to be in, but it's definitely in the half of the country where radio station call letters begin with K.

pete said...

The second-greatest rock and roll record ever made? (The first? You have to ask? Rhymes with "Folly by Golly.") I used to have it on 78. The Lord knows where it is now.

pete said...

And speaking of goofs, how about Billy Joel's "Billy the Kid," where the title character is HANGED.

steve simels said...

On 78? Oh.My. God.

Faze said...

When I was a kid, we moved into a house where the previous owner had left a whole pile of Sun records 78s -- Elvis and Jerry Lee. Here's what my brothers and I did with 'em, I swear to you: We smashed 'em up. Can you imagine how I suffer as I replay that in my adult mind?

Anonymous said...

Didn't Mayor Bloomberg marry them at Gracie Mansion this past weekend?

ROTP(lumber)