Monday, July 11, 2011

And Speaking of Gorgeous....

...from 1970, please enjoy the late Pete Ham's exquisite acoustic demo of Badfinger's genre-defining powerpop classic "No Matter What."





Our old pal Steve Schwartz contributed this to a Weekend Mix that went up over at Burning Wood last Friday; I'm posting it here because a) it's ridiculously great and b) I'm late with my review of the new Fountains of Wayne album (for the Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review) and I don't really have time for a more original item at the moment.

4 comments:

DB said...

Strip a great song down to its core and you find the everlasting beauty within.

Strip a less than great song in the same way and you discover its dreary architecture*.

What a wonderful version!

(*"Dreary architecture" is a phrase stolen from Steely Dan's funky-as-shit "Cousin Dupree", which has stuck in my head because it is damn near perfect.)

little field said...

beautiful!

Shriner said...

So, what's the verdict on the new FoW? Better than "Traffic & Weather" (which I thought was overproduced...)

Alex said...

Lovely... and what Shriner said -- FoW fans wanna, gotta, needta know1